Nickel cud and a strike through?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Joe Campbell, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

315CDD89-0EE8-4F91-A4D4-08EFA200ED16.png 8B052233-3994-4905-8189-01039E7A9A5F.png Found a couple of interesting nickels. First one has a nice cud at the base of the portrait. Nice example of a common cud. 2nd coin is a 2000-P that looks like a reverse strike through but really I’m not 100% sure. Usually I’m pretty decent at diagnosing strike through a but this one is giving me trouble. Looking for thoughts from the group here. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The 1st one looks damaged to me the second thats a nice cud.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Ditto to a nice cud. But I am curious as to why the obverse of the other shows no damage from the reverse. I do see the rim damage also which would indicated some kind of PMD. But nickel is very hard and it seems that the damage done would have shown on the other side also. There is something on the collar but I have no clue what that is, as it does not match the other side. Maybe this was heat related PMD.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice cud on the '84. The other is puzzling. My first reaction was heat damage, but closer study does lead one to think a possible strike through. But strike through what? A wad of gum? LOL

Joe Campbell and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I agree with you and Tommy on this. First thought was damage but after closer inspection I believe (but am not certain) that it’s a strike through, but through what I have no idea.

thanks for looking.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The cud is the one on the right. The left one looks like a form of heat damage.

8. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

Nice cud. Would like to see the reverse of the 1984 cud coin to see how weak the strike is on it.
    Would like to see a nice closeup of the 2000 reverse and obverse - each in their own image if you please

Draft saved Draft deleted