Nickel Clad vs. Silver Clad

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Barkoff, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Barkoff

Barkoff New Member

Good day. I'm new to the forum, new to coin collecting, but I have just inherited a nice collection and would like to build on it.

My first rookie question would be how can you tell a silver clad silver dollar from a copper-nickel one?

Example 1977 Eisenhower,
    1974S copper-nickel clad
    1974S Silver clad.

How can you tell which is which?

Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. :welcome: Welcome to CT. The easiest way to tell is to look at the edge of the coin. If it is one solid silver color, then it is likely the 40% silver coin. TC

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

To add just a bit more, copper nickel clad coins are over a 100% copper Core. Blanks are literally "pushed" through the copper-nickel clad sheets which causes one side of the cladding to get spread down the sides of the blank. 99.999% of the time, that spread does not cover the entire side of the blank which leaves the 100% copper core showing.

Silver clad coins, on the other hand, have an 80% Silver/20% copper cladding over a 20% Silver/80% Copper core. Both alloys are similar in color so that when the blanks get punched, the cladding does not have to cover the entire edge of the blank to give it an all silver appearance.

Generally speaking, as the coins age, the 20% Silver/80% Copper cores turn darker that the surfaces of the coin but the NEVER show any copper coloring.

So, on edge, a silver clad coin will appear silver colored while a copper nickel clad coin will, 99.999% of the time, show a pure copper core. The .001% of the time that they don't usually means that the cladding was spread down the entire side of the blank as it was punched out but the edge will appear a dull gray, not silver.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Good explanation!

Chris

6. Barkoff

Barkoff New Member

7. ai3n10

ai3n10 New Member

I have a question though i do not meant to intrude on this thread but:

I got 8 Uncirculated-looking 1971-D Kennedy Half dollars and figured they were about worth 1.50 a peice but recently purchased the book "Strike it rich with pocket change" and saw the 1971-D silver clad mistake and what its worth. Though i am realistic and know the chances are slim to none but...just in case my few questions are:

A) Does it weighing 11.5 Grams a GUARENTEE its authentic

B) what is the sure test to prove it (the Tissue-Overlay?)

C) Does anybody know how many were actually struck

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t206792/#ixzz1vcpd6EL8

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

See my response in your Coin Chat thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted