Nicke With Magnetic Error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Neobomb, May 23, 2010.

1. Neobomb

Neobomb New Member

I posted a few days ago about this... I have a better camera now so I took some better pictures.

So the anomaly on the Nickle is Magnetic. The other side of the nickle isn't. You can also see over the T in LIBERTY there is a bubble.

here are some pictures, let me know what you all think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

It looks post minting damage, to me.

4. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Horseshoe damage. It's post mint.
    Probably a frat from college.
    We made some at our frat. Intended to keep them and all thatbut some buddies ended up spending them or losing them. Except we had our frat initials.
    Good times

5. Neobomb

Neobomb New Member

How was it made? And why does it stick to a magnet?

6. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Probabley used a punch of some sort. As for the magnatization properties, electricity was used more likely.

7. Neobomb

Neobomb New Member

Doesn't it seem weird that a college frat would electrify a coin though? I don't get how it was made because it has extra metal on the circle error, and on the T of liberty.

So I thought to weigh the coin, and it weighs 5.1 grams and another regular nickle weighs 4.9 ... if that means anything?

8. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

:kewl::kewl::kewl:

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The stated weight of the nickel is 5.0 grams, with some % variance, so it is close. Nickels ( 75% copper, 25% nickel) would not become magnetized by electricity. Since you noted that only the anomaly was magnetic, I suspect that what ever made the depression was steel/iron, and some of it melted or adhered to the inside of the damage, and this is what is magnetic.

10. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Nothing is weird when you mix college students+alcohol+science and engineering courses/physics/etc.

LOL

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's probably nickel plated on one side.

Draft saved Draft deleted