Featured Nice Vespasian Dupondius found in ROME!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Colby J., Nov 25, 2019.

1. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

While in Rome today I came across this super cool antiques shop. The lady who owns it has a husband who is into ancient coins, duh: this is Rome. She showed me this little collection of coins that were for sale and I knew I had to buy one. They were a bit overpriced, but I found a couple I liked. The one that really got my eye was a Septimus Severus sel. Denarius. This thing was mint state, like...no scratches, wear, anything! She was asking 120 euros for it though. And I mean, it's Septimus Severus. So I end up buying this amazing dupondius from Vespasian. Heres where I'm stumped, I have no clue what the reverse shows. I was told that it was Ceres, but I know it's not. I think it's pax or fecilitas. Heres the coin: IMG_4083-removebg-preview.png
    Heres Pax:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.14.00 PM.png

Heres Fecilitas:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.14.10 PM.png

But then what gets me is the alignment of the feet and hands. The varieties that are known show a constant Fecilitas, which might be what it is. But the head doesn't look radiate on the obverse, which if you know, is what the Fecilitas variety shows most commonly for this dupondius. AND, the SC is barely showing, therefore making it pure variety.

If it is pure, then it is this coin from AD 73:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.17.24 PM.png
    Look at the feet position, how the little point meets at the bottom. Heres my coin for reference.
    IMG_4083-removebg-preview.png
    Tell me your opinion, if I'm close, etc. You know the stuff. In case you want to see the obverse here it is.
    IMG_4091-removebg-preview.png

Oh, and here's a cool photo I took at the Pantheon!!!
    IMG_4045.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

4. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

There used to be lots of coin/antique kiosks around Campo dei Fiori and some of the smaller streets off of and parallel the Via Del Corso. That was many years ago. Enjoy exploring!

Draft saved Draft deleted