Nice VAM discovered in my own collection ---> 1878 P VAM# 84a

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There were no coin shows for me this last weekend so we spent some time on Saturday organizing the collection. Here is my story......

An old page of Morgans was lying on the table & I saw an 1878 labeled “Reverse of 1879”. This got me to thinking about the “Reverse of 1879”.... I couldn’t remember if the reverse of 79 was the one that has the tapered arrow feather or if it had the parallel arrow feathers. (Don’t you hate it when a piece of your memory-bank just disappears from your brain!). In any event, I picked-up the one labeled “reverse of 79” and another 1878 coin and began comparing the reverse arrow feathers. Holly-cow, the 1878 that I grabbed at random had a long nock on the center arrow. Holly-cannoli, the obverse was all over-polished so that the nostril was completely missing. There are die cracks all around the reverse and some on the obverse. In the proper light, you can see a clashed E under the eagle’s feathers. About 40 seconds later I was on VAMWORLD.COM to see what I had just discovered in my own collection.

I’m sure that you VAM guys know how exciting this got for me as I plugged away at the VAMWORLD photos. Here is the coin (cherrypicked from my own collection). :D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Cherrypicked from my own collection

Here are close-up photos taken of the coin. You can visually see the E under the eagle’s tail feathers but I had trouble getting the “E” to show up in any of the close-up photo attempts. Believe me, the clashed E is there along with this die clash at the throat of Liberty on the obverse. This is what apparently makes it the 84a and not the 84.

Attached Files:

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the over-polished nostril (and eye).

Attached Files:

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the L of LIBERTY is in low relief to the field.

Attached Files:

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the die crack extending from the stars (obverse at 4:30) to the denticles.

Attached Files:

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the dash under the first 8.

Attached Files:

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the broken D in DOLLAR. This is a key pick-up-point for VAM 84.

Attached Files:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here you can see the long nock on the arrow. Notice that the arrow feathers above & below are parallel making it an obvious reverse of 1878.

Attached Files:

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It was crazy fun finding it

Please let me know if there is anything missing in my attribution of this coin. :)

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Looks good to me. Nice pics by the way. One of these days I really need to go through mine with my VAM book. I could have a rare variety and not even know it.
    Guy

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Do it.

It is awesome to find new treasures in your own collection. :yes:

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Hey Collect, what does the VAM site have this for the rarity scale?

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't know.
    I did find some VAM84a sales listed for about $150-$200 slabbed in MS63 so I don't imagine it is very rare. I'd be interested in learning what the VAM guys at CT have to say.

15. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

old thread but I just picked up a AU-58 for 75.00

Draft saved Draft deleted