Nice Surprise!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SorenCoins, Jul 19, 2017.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I decided to get at least a little more in tuned with the other parts of numismatics: banknotes, and stamps. So I went through some of my banknotes, found their pick etc. heres a little list:
    · 2003A $2 United States P-516b

· 1957A $1 United States P-419a

· 1974 $1 Bahamas P-35a

· 2013 20ß Thailand P-New

· 1986 $2 Canada P-94a

· 1973 $1 Canada P-85c

· 1991 $20 Canada P-97a

· 1991 $20 Canada P-97a

· 1990 500F Hungary P-175

· 2003 1L Honduras P-84

· 1943 5P Philippines P-110

· 2002 5EU European Union P-1s

· 2005 10Y China P-904

· 2012 2R Brazil P-249h

· 2008 2NSK Israel P-64

· 1978 5SK Israel P-44

· 2005 $2 Singapore P-46

· 2005 $2 Singapore P-46

· 2007 10,000D Vietnam P-119b

· 2007 $10 Hong Kong P-401

· 1969 1P Mexico P-59k

· 2012 50P Mexico P-123kV

· 1994 10Z Poland P-173

· 1978 50D Greece P-199

· 1997 $1 Disney PNL

· 1997 $1 Disney PNL

· 1978 100D Greece P-200b

· 2009 $1 United States P-530

· 2009 $1 United States P-530

I thought I had a Japanese modern note. I cant remember where I got it. It turned out to be my oldest note. Interesting history because Japan was there we pushed them out, then they pushed us back out, made these, then we finally took it for good.

4DF8D692-9D8C-421E-BA9E-F6F34BA1F3E0.jpg

-SC

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No offense intended @SorenCoins , but the hobby of stamp collecting is called philately.

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

Oh. None taken, thanks for the insight.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The Japanese Government note was produced for the occupation of the Philippines during WWII

Stevearino likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

Yes. While Japan occupied the Philippines they pressed the 5 Pesos in 1943.

8. SorenCoins

I belive my wording messed you up. While we were pushed out of it, Japan made the note, then we pushed them out and took it over. Sprry for any misunderstanding

9. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Just out of curiosity what do the P and alpha numerics represent?

10. SorenCoins

P is the Pick number. So banknote collectors over the world all know Philippines Pick-110 is this note. Without all having the same language, like scientific names to animals are all in Latin so scientists across the world all can communicate easily.

11. SorenCoins

And are you talking about the ß? That means Baht, Thai currency. Like the US $

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  12. moneycostingmemoney

It was the pick numbers. And thanks for the explanation. I generally stick to us currecy but the artwork on a lot of foreign (to me) currency makes me want to start a book.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. SorenCoins

I have a little album from Hobby Lobby. I have a few old checks from (2) 1855 and (1) 1866. I like them. You can tell one of the 1855 is very wealthy person, its for $487.59, few thousand back then.

14. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Pick (P) Number
    The numbering system used in Standard Catalog of World Paper Money series of books editted by George S. Cuhaj is called the Pick Number, based on a numbering system developed by Albert Pick. The Pick Number is considered the standard, universally accepted method of describing and cataloging World paper money.

Albert Pick was a well-known German notaphilist (born 15 May 1922 in Cologne) who published a number of catalogs of European paper money, and, in 1974, the first Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. His collection of over 180,000 banknotes was eventually housed at the Bavarian Mortgages and Exchange Bank (Bayerischen Hypotheken- und Wechselbank, now HypoVereinsbank). This catalog underwent several incarnations, and currently is published as a three volume group. Volume I, called Specialized Issues, includes notes issued by local authorities, which circulated in a limited area. Volume II called General Issues covers notes issued on a national scope, dated 1368 through 1960. Volume III covers Modern Issues dated 1960 to present. Each of the volumes is updated regularly, with Volume III now updated every year, Volumes I and II every 3 or so years. While Pick no longer edits the catalogs (since 1994 the honor has passed to George S. Cuhaj), the catalogs are still commonly referred to as 'Pick Catalogs' and dealers and collectors alike refer to banknotes by their 'Pick number.'

15. moneycostingmemoney

@clayirving I like knowing the back story to things and how they came to be. I'm just more familiar with the Friedburg numbering system. It seems he's the lesser known in the field of paper money because when I went to look into his history the only things I could find were for a behavior therapist...less interesting to me haha. Thank you for the explanation.

SorenCoins and Stevearino like this.
  16. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Friedberg (FR) Number

The Friedberg numbering system was developed by Robert Friedberg, and it is the numbering system used in Paper Money of the United States by Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg. It is considered the standard, universally accepted method of describing and cataloging United States paper money.

These catalog numbers are used as a shorthand method of systematically identifying a particular note based on its design, series and signature combination. Each Friedberg number represents a unique combination of these factors.

Krause-Lemke (KL) Number

The Krause-Lemke numbering system was developed by Chester L. Krause and Robert F. Lemke. Chester Krause formed Krause Publications in 1952. Twenty years later, an 800-page Standard Catalog of World Coins made it's debut and the rest...is history. In the nearly 35 years since that massive catalog rolled off the press, list of Krause Publications has grown from just one title to more than 750 titles in print.

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Good explanation Clay.

The Friedberg number also distinguishes where the note is printed, which means a series 2013 Atlanta one dollar bill printed in Washington DC will have a different Friedberg number than a series 2013 Atlanta one dollar bill printed in Fort Worth.

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Why?

Were they wrinkled?

SorenCoins likes this.
  19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

20. SorenCoins

?

21. CoinCorgi