Nice Snack

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

So, turns out there are seven ancients dealers attending the Santa Clara coin show here in California. Some really nice things to be had and I picked up two for my collection today. I’m using the Goldberg photos from their site as I’m on my phone in the hotel. The Bostra piece is actually dark and glossy, the Domitian pretty accurate. I’m super pleased, though I paid a good premium over the price realized from the auctions:

EBA1F251-6AD7-4BF0-8F1F-805FD560691A.jpeg 86279505-AEE8-4B04-B409-A25C20F782A5.jpeg 62FB5E5C-A3AD-4D5B-9EEF-53186467BCBD.jpeg 98F53FD0-527F-449E-BAEF-BACEAAFCD3F6.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Those are some pretty heavy snacks! The Domitian is one of my favorite reverses from the Flavian era.

Deacon Ray and ominus1 like this.
  4. Ken Dorney

They really are lovely in hand. The Domitian is rather dramatic and the Julia is a bit smaller in diameter but as thick as an Alexandrian tetradrachm of the period. Those photos are harsh and one can’t see any of the flaws in person.

I was tempted to get the Nigrinian ant but it was too high at $1,000. Another tempting coin was the Julian of Pannonia but it was a bit too rough for the price. There are some really nice coins here. There was a nice EF Hadrian sestertius but I was disappointed to find the reverse legends tooled. Hopefully I will find some other things. My table was pretty busy today so I wasn’t able to look much.

5. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Very nice! What's happening on the reverse of the Domitian?

6. Ken Dorney

From the CNG website:

Honoring the original system for the celebration of the games, Domitian held the Ludi Saeculares in October AD 88, coming close to the traditional 110-year standard. The reverses of the gold and silver issues typically employ a herald of the games, while the bronze issues convey the various events which occurred before and during the celebration. The legend LVDi SAECulares FECit is used throughout, and conveys the emperor as bringing the celebration of the games to the city.

The reverse type employed on some of these issues is alluded to by a passage in Suetonius in which heralds are described as going around the city, inviting people to a spectacle which “ ... [they] had never seen and would not see again.” He also states the fallacy of this event however, since the games had just been held 40 years earlier during the reign of Claudius in a break from past celebrations.

jb_depew, Ryro and dadams like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

o wow! the reverse on the Domitian is real boss! kool Ken..:)

Ryro and Ken Dorney like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Sweet coins Ken. I've never seen the Bostra type before. I need one now.

9. Ken Dorney

They are pretty rare, only half a dozen in the archives and this one is the nicest of them all.

Ajax likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Domitian1.jpg Great coins Ken especially the detail on the Domitian is one of the best I've seen, much better than mine (still using dealers pic) I will have to photograph soon. 20161001_172103 (800x376).jpg
    Just took a new pic what do you think? Top picture.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

LOVE Bostra's helmet! But yeah, that Domitian reverse is BANANAS!!!
    Wish you'd picked up that Nigrinian though. Then my po boy version would have someone to play with...
    CollageMaker Plus_201846153711259.png
    Nigrinian
    DIVO NIGRINIANO
    AE Antoninian
    CONSECRATIO
    Reverse: Eagle Very
    Rare

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coins, @Ken Dorney , particularly the Domitian! Here's my Julia Mamaea from Bostra. I did a write up about Bostra and this coin last year:

Mamaea Bostra.jpg
    Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
    Roman provincial Æ 22.45 mm, 4.86 g, 5 h.
    Arabia, Bostra, AD 222-235.
    Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVGVSTA, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: COLONIA BOSTRA, turreted and draped bust of Tyche left, cornucopia over shoulder.
    Refs: SNG ANS 1231; Kindler 40; Spijkerman 54; Rosenberger 46.

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What he said!

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both great coins

15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

nice coins Ken! I like the way your Domitian shows him in his robes. It looks like one of his buddies has a sextant. Neat look into Roman life.

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice pick-ups @Ken Dorney - the Mamaea one I've never seen before.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It does look like a sextant, doesn't it? It's a double flute (to accompany the lyre player). Looks more like a sextant :)

18. Silverlock

Silverlock Well-Known Member

If those beauties are what you have for a snack, I can’t wait to see what’s for dinner.

19. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Love the Domitian Ken. Congrats!

20. Ken Dorney

Here are the pictures I took of the two coins. I think they are remarkably different from the auction photos. Mine look much closer (almost exactly) to what they are in hand:

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

21. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Lovely Domitian reverse. If anyone wants to read a scholarly article (not mine) on the Ludi Saeculares coin series, PM me an email address.

Screenshot 2018-09-25 12.08.12.png

zumbly and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted