Nice little buy...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Abramthegreat, May 25, 2022.

1. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-25_12-38-58.jpeg

upload_2022-5-25_12-39-9.jpeg

I will try to post pictures of the reverse later...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

How much Dude? Nice. Wish I had one too. :arghh:
    I somehow have been blessed to get my errors for free.:);)

Abramthegreat likes this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Next time put the coin between two slices of bread, just kidding! Very nice I like it, thanks for sharing.

5. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

During this last week's coin club meeting we had several on the auction table.

6. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

Cool. I wonder how it managed to get in circulation.

7. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

$3.5

alurid likes this.
  8. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

due to the lighting, I am not seeing the blakesley effect(weakness opposite of the clip due to metal flow) A better picture of the front and back are requested.

Abramthegreat and Hommer like this.
  9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It's there but metal flow isn't what causes it, more like lack of metal to flow. When a blank goes through the upsetting mill it is basically squeezed by the edges between 2 rollers which not only shrinks the diameter of the blank but also pushes metal up around the perimeter. This is called the upset and this extra metal around the perimeter is needed to form the rim of the coin when struck. Where Blakesley Effect comes from is when the clipped blank is squeezed between the rollers in the upsetting mill, there is no resistance or pressure on the opposite roller from where the clip in the blank is. With no resistance, metal cant be pushed up to form the upset and eventual rim. For this reason, when the coin is struck, the rim opposite of the clip will be weak or non existent.

Kentucky, expat and Abramthegreat like this.
  10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I posted earlier about the clipped coins at our auction. Well, we have door prizes too. We have a number prizes of for tickets and pull them at the meetings. The last prize I got. It was a UNC banknote from Zimbabwe in 2008 for One Hundred Trillion Dollars. All the others did not want it, so I ended up with it. I do collect all the stuff. Then one of my friends who have/works in the coin store, looked it up and the value is about $150.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted