Nice little Booby Head Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mark_h, May 13, 2010.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Newest addition to my middle date large cents. I believe it is an N-5, but did not work real hard to confirm it. As always all comments are welcome. Plus I just wanted to play with lighting and photoscape some.

Just wanna see what they look like - home and at work. Even the heritage picture makes the coins slightly lighter in color.
    Used starting picture - hit autolevel high.
    [​IMG]
    Used starting picture - Hit auto contrast high. Saved again.
    [​IMG]
    Starting picture - looks kinda washed out, lighter than actual coin.
    [​IMG]

Midnight here and I am tired. I think the first set is really closer to the act - in my normal overhead room lighting. Going to take it to work to check how it looks there. Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Excellent coin, Mark! My favorite of the '39 varieties.

Nice smooth surfaces. Good color. A touch of wear. I don't see much luster (may be the photos). AU 53?

5. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Booby heads are odd, but she's charming penny lady.

6. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Mark, why is it called the "booby head"? I am not familiar with this series.. or the one after it... or any Large cents. :p

7. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Mark, that's a great coin - and great photos too!

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Chocolate love!!
    Great coin and picts.

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Beautiful Coin, but definitely NOT N-5. The coronet parallels the L. On the reverse, the fourth leaf is under the left side of the upright and not left of the upright. I can't make out doubling on the 9th star to aid in further attribution. Good luck.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

snaz:
    in the 19th century with the early study of large cents the identifiers (those who studied the series) gave nick-names to many varieties, such as the 'office boy reverse'.

11. mark_h

It can only be the N-5 or N-10. N-6,7,11,12,13,14 - all have the sixth star almost over the point of the Coronet. Now it is not an N-10 because the 12th Berry is detached from the leaf and stem. That leaves the N-5 where the 12th berry rests on both leave and stem. OOPs - if you count the 10 and 11th are missing on this variety. This is based off my older newcomb book.

19th century coin dealer Ebenezer Locke Mason gave the coins the nicknames per what I read. I just figured it was because it shows more neck and shoulder. I have not seen anything that explains exactly why.

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well, whichever variety it is, it's a nice coin!
    She also does have what seems to be a doubled profile as well? quite evident at the nose.
    Is that particular to the N-5 variety?

13. mark_h

Thanks all. I do not think it is a double profile, but just how well struck it was in that area. Now the funny thing is that at home under the compact fluorescent lights it was darker than under the larger florescent lights here at work. Now under the Reveal Lights when I took the original pictures it also looked darker than here at work.

14. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

stunning, the first set of pictures give a good chocolatey brown look to the coin.

15. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

great job with the lighting on those pictures! Great looking coin.

16. mark_h

Missed this one it is an AU-50 coin. You can always go to heritage to see the coin.

17. Art

Art Numismatist?

A beautiful large cent. They are fantastic coins and your photos really present this piece in all it's detail. Very well done. Thanks for the neat post too.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm using Wright's 'The Cent Book' which also indicates both the N-5 and N-10 are the same Obverse with the N-10 being the late state die after it has been manually touched up. I'll look for photos to share showing why it can't be the N-5.

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

It's clearly a Boobie -- the right edge of the bust is obvious.

Not N-5 -- bust is not pointed enough, and the leaf under CA is not doubled.
    Not N-6 -- no puckered mouth
    Not N-7 -- no break through stars
    Not N-10 -- same as 5 (they share an obverse die)
    Not N-12 -- browlock touches forehead
    Not N-13 -- no puckered mouth
    Not N-14 -- berry is under TE in UNITED
    Not N-15 -- no reverse crack

By process of elimination, it appears to be N-11. However, I don' see star 9 recut, or the die chip inside star #10.

I'm anything but sure of the above....Mike

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm just adding the pictures of the N-5 to show why it's not N-5.

Note the distance from the upper L to the tip of the coronet as well as the angle of the coronet to the edge of the L.
    [​IMG]

Note the point of the outer leaf is left of the upright of the E. Yours is under the left side of the upright of the E.
    [​IMG]

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Fantastic it !!! :) :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted