Nice Coin Recieved But Ripped Off On Shipping

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nds76, May 28, 2005.

1. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

How do u figure??

BTW Was the milk bad?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

As a buyer I always figured S+H into the equation before I bid. As a new seller, I
    will only ship USPS Priority Insured. I must figure insurance at the high end of what
    the coin might go for. You know what my terms are before you bid, and agree to
    those terms when you bid.
    If a seller regularly gouges on shipping by charging $5 for S+H, then mailing coins
    in 37 cent envelopes, it will surely be reflected in his feedback.
    The time to do your homework on a seller is BEFORE you bid. You have only
    yourself to blame. You`re not going to find that "buy of a liftime" on nickel
    and dime carp on ebay.

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

this will be my last comment on this thread...

wrong - if you bid, that means you agreed. :confused: YOu can't purchase a lottery ticket, and expect a refund when you don't win.

Then there's a lesson to be learned in all this... never go against your better judgement when it comes to purchasing anything.

5. bzcollektor

BTW nds76

You left the following feedback for the seller of the 1894-O:

"Awesome coin! Fast shipping A++++++++++++++++"

I think I got all 16 of those pluses.......

6. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I don't mean to criticize, but why do you force the buyer to take PM? It is a Post Office scam for the most part. At best it saves one day in delivery, and is not really worth the extra money. 3 or 4 days vs 2-3 days - not worth a few dollars in my opinion.

7. SFDukie

SFDukie Member

Excessive S&H

OK, my 2 cents.
    Several points- of course one should factor in s&h costs in what one is willing to bid. BUT there is an inplied contract in S&H charges-ie a $5 s&h fee implies "proper" care in packaging. So if an item then is sent poorly packaged, I feel that the buyer is correct in being annoyed- a padded envelope just isn't that expensive, or even just a bit of bubble wrap or some means to protect the coin. Ditto delivery confirmation, or USPS insurance. This is true whether or not the coin arrives damaged. To say otherwise is like saying that one should not be annoyed at a taxi driver whose vehicle has nonfuntioning seatbelts unless there is an accident- there is a reasonable expectation of a well maintained vehicle when one enters a taxi in a major US city, and this is reflected in the regulated fares...
    An example from my ebay experience- I was high bidder on a quarter eagle which was a reasonable coin. S, H and "insurance" was $6.95. I factored that into what I was willing to bid- and I consider that a slightly, but not ridiculously high S&H fee for a valuable coin. It arrived in an ordinary envelope, with a 37c stamp. I expected, and I feel deserved more care for the coin.

Two- "padded" S&H costs make it much more difficult to bid on ebay. Many of us have had the experience of seeing a lower value coin we might be interested in, only to find on careful reading that S&H is 9.95 (or worse, no mention or means to calculate shipping costs- forcing one to email seller or pass on the coin lest one be stuck with a 19.95 shipping charge)- making the coin no longer worth it to the bidder and wasting their time.

It's pretty simple, IMO. do the right thing. And that means charging a reasonable S&H fee for the service rendered. I don't begrudge a seller a bit of change in S&H- I've received many packages which clearly cost more to ship than I was charged- and the converse- off by a bit is ok. Off by several dollars isn't.

And bz, your point re feedback is valid, but in my experience isn't always reflected. I check fairly fb always, and while I didn't read more than a page or so on the seller outlined above- I didn't see any hints that he cut corners in that manner. And there are scam artists out there with "great" feedback on ebay, as we all know...
    Don

PS- In example above, I left pos fb (as coin was as described), but as seller did not leave fb until I did- it was the usual "fb hostage" situation which makes it hard for folks to know if this is a pattern or not.

8. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

I think the point here is what IDIOT would send a coin in an unpadded, unprotected envelope? The $5 on shipping is another issue as to being ripped off. To me the seller was an irresponsible moron for not taking the time to package it better.

9. bzcollektor

JBK
    Valid point re my choosing to mail Priority Insured.

PM offers the most efficient cost-effective way to mail coins with insurance
    and DC. Insurance, as you know, is to protect me as a seller. When I sell (and
    I am new to selling) I use my own Bubble Mailers on single coins. On heavier
    items (such as rolls) I can use free Priorty Mail boxes and such. It is a matter
    of convenience for me, and the bidder knows up-front exactly what the shipping
    is, in the safest way these things can be shipped. The bidder can bid his highest
    price he is willing to pay, taking into account my clearly stated Shipping Terms.

I refunded my last buyer excess shipping charges. He was very happy to get an
    unexpected refund, and gave me FB saying so. I can`t get a better endorsement
    if I wrote it myself.

Bruce

10. bzcollektor

BTW all.....

I am new to posting here............

I don`t want to sound like a cocky newbie.

I have been a buyer on ebay since early 2000, and I don`t like whiners like
    The OP, whine here and whine in several posts on the ebay forums about S+H
    charges that he knew about before he bid. We have only his side of the story.
    The seller of this 1894-0 AG barber has no FB indicating that he abuses S+H.

In fact the OP gave him FB:
    "Awesome coin! Fast Shipping A++++++++++++++++"

As a new seller, I see the other side of the coin so to speak.

The OP does a disservice to ebay buyers by giving this seller "GLOWING"
    positive feedback, then ranting for days on this board, and numerous ebay
    boards about this sellers alleged shipping gouging.

my opinion

Bruce

11. bzcollektor

I feel better now

Draft saved Draft deleted