Nice Coin Recieved But Ripped Off On Shipping

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nds76, May 28, 2005.

1. rick

rick Coin Collector

I don't get it.

Did the coin come to your damaged because of poor shipping? Obviously you received it, so it wasn't lost... I'm just having trouble understanding the nature of your complaint.

If the item was not insured, you could go back to the seller, and claim that you reasonably understood that 5 dollars covered some sort of personal insurance. If it were damaged, you could go back to the seller, and claim that you reasonably understood that 5 dollars offered sufficient packaging materials to avoid being damaged with regular postal handling... but none of these things happened, or so it seems.

You agreed to pay 5 dollars to get the coin from him to you. if that came via paper airplane, I could see where you would be shocked, but the coin is now in your hands, and apparently in the same condition.

Pardon this post - I just really don't get where you're coming from... except that you wanted him to spend more money, because you agreed to pay high shipping - I just don't see what how it matters to you if he has your money or the USPS, when it's all said and done.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

I charge $4.95 to ship a slabbed coin in a padded envelope, with additional bubble wrap, and with USPS delivery confirmation. Insurance is optional and encouraged. If a person wins multiple items, I charge $1 additional per slab to ship as one package.

I also charge $3.95 to ship a 2x2 coin in a padded envelope with USPS delivery confirmation. I charge $.50 for each additional coin to ship as one.

Now after I pack the item, address the item, and travel to the post office, I email the buyer with the USPS tracking number so he/she can track their package.

Now, a slabbed coin costs about $.83 in postage and another $.55 for delivery confirmation. Add $.75 for the padded envelope and tape and you get $2.13 which is less than the $4.95 I charge. The coin doesn't magically get shipped by itself. Somebody has to do it.

S&H costs are clearly explained as well as how the item will be shipped in my description. If buyers don't like it, I encourage them NOT to bid.

So....after how fast they get the coin and they see how their coin was packed, I NEVER had anybody question the additional $2.82 for "handling". So...if you don't like the S&H, DON'T BID!!

It is a cost of doing business. Time, labor and materials. They all add up. Some charge more than others. It is called a free market place. Next time, READ before bidding!

4. JDB520

JDB520 New Member

"Let's say you want something worth $2.00 to you, and the seller wants $5.00 for scamming ... er, I mean, shipping (did I say that out loud ?) ."

I think people do this because the Shipping cost is not included in the "Final Auction Value" or whatever. You can Avoid some EBay Fees this way. I am careful to add the shipping into the final cost. It is really as simple as that.

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I was questioning the motives of someone who would sell something for a penny and then depend on the buyer to not notice that they were paying $5.00 for "shipping." Who else would pay $5.00 for shipping on a $0.01 item except someone who wasn't paying attention ? The sellers are deliberately preying on the unaware.

That said, while I sympathize with nds76, overall I have to agree with most of the posters here (if not their demeanor) that you have to include the shipping as part of the cost. Rick absolutely nailed it: nds paid a certain amount to get a coin in a certain condition, and he received the coin in that condition.

6. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

I think we're straying off NDS's original point. Its not the price paid for an item, it was the cost of shipping SPECIFICALLY in reference the method of shipping used. I'd be a bit cheesed too if I spent $5.00 on S/H and someone just threw the coin loose into an envelope and dropped it in the mailbox.

7. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

You are correct.

I'd be jacked too if I spent $5 on shipping only to receive it by an envelope with a 37 cent stamp they just put in the mailbox for the mailman to pick up.

If it we're me I'd email the seller and tell them you weren't happy with how it was packaged and see what they say. I would definitely leave neutral feedback if they don't have a good excuse.

To me thats BS!

8. rick

rick Coin Collector

Would you tip your pizza guy less if he showed up on a bike, even if your food got there in 30 minutes or less, and was still hot?

9. nds76

nds76 New Member

That isn't the point. The point is a coin could be damaged the way it is packaged. Yes, I got the package safely but all I'm saying is that the way it was sent it could have been damaged.

10. rick

rick Coin Collector

Well, I don't want to be argumentative - I'm not excusing it. I don't buy from people who charge high shipping... I'm just saying there are a whole lot of what ifs in this world - if it had happened, you would have reasonable recourse, but it didn't.

All I'm saying is that you agreed to pay five bucks to get from him to you - that happened. And now you know that you have higher expectations for paying five dollars in shipping, and you can keep that in mind for future ebay purchases. Seriously, I'm not trying to sound snide or anything like that - but this thread is pretty much spilt milk.

11. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

He did agree to pay $5 and it should have been packaged as to protect the coin. If I pay $5 S&H for ONE COIN you better believe it better be packaged well or you will he hearing from me. You know he got ripped off on shipping the coin and you know it. You must be one of those people that rip off people with cheap packaging. ;)

As I said before I'd be jacked too.

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

He did't get ripped off...he agreed to pay it and I think he should pay for it and smile....you don't post 5 pages on how much the guy at the gas station is making per gallon of gas you buy...he has to make money to buy more gas...pay his workers...pay city taxes and so on...this is just like it...he charged S&H...the rest went too the H in S&H---it cost him gas...time...and more just to mail the coin.
    If you got the coin...be gald the guy didn't keep all of your money and the coin too.

Speedy

13. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

If I ever get a coin shipped in a friggin' white envelope with no padding you better believe I'm going to punch the guy in the face for ignorance. Five dollars for a fricking envelope and stamp, man does that burn me up. SOB!

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Wrong!

As several people have already pointed out, the buyer's "cost" is never the final bid unless the auction includes free S/H.

If I pay 1¢ as the bid price, plus $5 as S/H, I have just spent $5.01, which is a real bargain if I would have been willing to pay $10 for the same coin in the same grade.

On the other hand, if I pay $5.01 and get free S/H, I have just spent $5.01, which is stupid if I'm buying a coin worth 25¢.

For Pete's sake, what on earth is so hard about adding up all the cost increments, and using the total when deciding how high bid?

15. nds76

nds76 New Member

Yes, I paid the high shipping fee although it was against my better judgement. I got a nice coin and it arrived safely thank goodness.

With the postage I did pay, I would have expected better packaging. With the postage I did pay, the seller could have bought insurance and delivery confirmation and still would have made a buck off the S&H. But instead the seller chose to send the cheapest/unsafe method and pocketed the $4.63!

I knew the cost of postage when I bid, I was fully aware. But that doesn't mean I agree with what was charged. As I said, I went against my better judgement on this. The bottom line is I expected better for the amount that I had paid. If the coin was well packaged and insured, I would not have minded the $5.00 fee although a coin can be safely mailed for well under $5.00.

16. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I basically agree with NDS on this, but there are two things I would add. He DID get his coin for the $5 he paid in shipping. He DID know in advance.

The thing that gets me, though, is I am willing to bet that if something did go wrong, the seller would not have made good on it. I can not prove this, of course, but it is my suspicion. This is based on what he charges for S/H and what he actually sends it as.

I’ve had people charge me excessive shipping, but they do spend the $$$ on packaging and premium services (insurance, etc.). These guys are serious about getting the thing there safely. Someone who charges $5 and sends it loose for 37 cents does not care about how (or if) it gets there.

17. arctic6008

arctic6008 New Member

"For Pete's sake, what on earth is so hard about adding up all the cost increments, and using the total when deciding how high bid?"

I agree with Satootoko. Obviously nds76 believes he was over charged, and with all the previous posts written, it doesn't sound like you will change his mind. So my next question is, when is this thread going to be locked so we can get back to discussing coins?? :)

18. nds76

nds76 New Member

If you don't like this thread, don't open it up. And why do you want to change my mind that $5.00 postage was a good deal? Would you pay $5.00 for a coin sent loose in 37 cent stamped envelope?

19. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

That was my point, bud. In the cases where the item for sale is worth only a few cents, the seller is trolling for the inexperienced buyers to scam them on shipping.

20. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

21. nds76

nds76 New Member

I agree with JBK. Just because you don't like the conversation is no reason to close the thread. This thread isn't just about the auction I bid on. It's about all coin auctions in general. I think this is becoming a real concern that need be addressed. Just ask yourself these 2 questions.

1. Would you like someone to send you a coin loose in a 37 cent stamped envelope?

2. Are you willing to take a risk that the coin may be damaged needlessly by the way it is shipped?

We as buyers have every right to have these concerns, especially when we pay more than enough postage and then still have the coin sent in an inapropriate way.

Draft saved Draft deleted