Nice Coin Recieved But Ripped Off On Shipping

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nds76, May 28, 2005.

1. nds76

nds76 New Member

"YES I do PAD my Shipping and HANDLING FEES to cover the HIGH EBAY and PAYPAL FEES. Otherwise it Would NOT be worth it to sell some items on ebay."

I believe eBay prohibits sellers from charging eBay and PayPal fees to the bidders. Have a look:

http:// www . coincommunity. com /topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1233

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

I also sell on Ebay and Like others have stated before me, I charge more for shipping to counter the high cost of Pay-Pal and Ebay commissions, as well as the padded envelopes and other expenses involved. If you truely kept track of ALL expenses then you would realize why shipping costs are what they are.

Its part of doing bussiness, if you don't like it don't buy it.

4. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Sometimes sellers will sell a coin real reasonable (cheap) and make a few bucks on the shipping charge. They can avoid Ebay fees that way. Plus there are real expenses for shipping beyond just postage.

If the shipping cost ($5.00) was posted in the auction and nothing was said about insurance or anything, then you got what was advertised and what you paid for. Leave positive feedback and move on, chalking this up to a fairly inexpensive learning experience

If shipping was not listed in the auction description or if it is not very clear, then you should always email the seller to confirm what shipping will cost and what that will include before you bid. There really is no other recourse except to not buy from that seller again. The buyer is obligated to protect themself from this kind of chicanery.

Anyway, sounds like you got a decent coin at a fair price. Try to focus on that aspect of the transaction. Don't let this spoil the fun of owning your new coin. Rejoice that you have a nice coin and that you are now a wiser Ebay buyer. Think positive! Have fun!

What really burns me, though, are the auction houses. Times were they would only charge 20% to the seller. Then someone figured they could up their percentage by charging the buyer a fee as well. If the coin sells for $100, the seller pays a 20% commision to the auction house and receives $80.00 from the sale of the coin. The seller also pays an additional 20% to the auction house, paying $120.00. Bottom line, the coin sold for $120.00 and the seller received $80.00. The auction house received $40.00, or one third of the sale price. AND, as if that were not enough, they will also tack on extra for postage and usually a $10 or more handling charge. Ebay sellers ain't got nuthin' on those guys!

5. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

Like it or not the buyer always pays the E-bay fees in the long run. Yes the seller physically pays the fees, but in turn will always pass those fees on to the buyers in the form of higher shipping costs. It is not a scam, it is a way of doing business. It's no different than Wal-Mart tacking on an extra percentage to cover the cost of trucking/labor/electricity/insurance/local taxes/on and on and on and on. Is it a scam? Well they are the largest non-government employer in the US, so if it is a scam it's a darn good one! Like I said befor, its business, if you don't like it don't buy it.

6. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I recently bought a coin from a guy in France for 1 euro, and he wanted 6 euros in postage. I tried to ask if he would send it a cheaper way, but he did not speak English. So, I paid the 6 total (it was still worth it) and when I got the coin, it had come registered with return receipt requested, and it cost HIM 6.30 euros in postage and fees. So, he made 70 cents (not counting eBay fees) form this transaction. It was a silver coin, and I am sure melt value was around there or above.

His high postage probably scared off bidders, and he forced me into premium services which were not necessary. He was the only loser here. I got a coin well within my price range, and he probably lost money on the deal.

7. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

You can bet his next auction will ask EUR$8.00 for shipping.

8. nds76

nds76 New Member

eBay's rules prohibit padding of postage fees to make profit or to offset costs from PayPal and eBay fees. They say do so at your own risk. They allow for packing material and such.

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

David

That is like saying the law says you can't speed...but I bet everybody here has gone over the limit once...and some people stay over the limit...that doesn't mean its right but its like this....

A guy had been pulled over for speeding...when another fast driver passed he asked the officer why he didn't get that other guy...the police man said...have you ever gone fishing...well...when a school of fish go by...you don't get them all...you get one.

Speedy

10. nds76

nds76 New Member

So are all of you condoning high shipping cost then? The PayPal and eBay fees are the sellers responsibility. That's the price of having a business. Personally I find high shipping costs to be a turn-off. Often it deters many from bidding on something they really want, hence less chance of making a sale.

Does it make it right if everybody does it?

11. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

So Don't Bid on it. Chill out. All were saying is READ the AUCTION FIRST.

IF I charged 37 cents for shipping, I would lose money and couldn't put up any coins for auction. So my clients lose out, I lose out, and ebay loses out.

If I charge $2.75 for shipping and HANDLING, then I can sell on ebay, my clients have a CHOICE to buy from me or not, I do ok, and ebay makes out like a bandit.

12. nds76

nds76 New Member

This is from the eBay site.

Excessive Shipping & Handling

eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion.

A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

i.e. Postage of $5.00 is unreasonable when only a 37 cent stamped envelope is used.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
    Limits on account privileges
    Account suspension

Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the full cost of an item. Listings that include excessive shipping and handling fees lead to a poor buying experience and un-level the playing field by putting sellers who charge reasonable shipping and handling charges at a disadvantage. These listings undermine the trust and legitimacy of eBay’s marketplace.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

nds -

You are correct - it is wrong to pad shipping charges. Nobody is disputing that or saying it is OK to do so.

But the bottom line doesn't change - the buyer agrees, makes a conscious choice, to pay the listed shipping costs when he/she places a bid. So if the buyer thinks the shipping charges are too high for a given item - then the buyer should not bid on it and look for another one.

14. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

Ok, I retrack that I said I pad my shipping and handling, guess it's against the rules. What I meant to say is I Charge $2.75 for shipping and handling, I will put a .37 cent stamp on it and YOU are paying ME a HANDLING FEE OF $2.38.

How about this, I'll charge 37 cents, and YOU come over, do all the computer work, photographing, buy shipping supplies, packaging, corresponding, drive to the post office.......and I'll pay you the extra $2.38.....Ok

15. nds76

nds76 New Member

How much effort though is in putting a coin in an envelope and putting it in your mail box? Wouldn't even need to drive to the post office. Also, the postal service does free pick-ups. If you want more $$$ jsut add it to the price of the auction so you can pay your share of eBay's final auction value fee. What your doing is FEE EVASION. If its such a hassle for you, why bother doing the auctions in the first place? Why should you get paid to sell your items? That's what the selling of the items are for. I mean really, how much does a letter envelope cost? How much effort is there to licking the envelope shut?

16. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

NO ... YOU ARE WRONG.....its not fee evasion...it's a handling fee

Almost Every Business Charges a Handling FEE!!!!!!!!!!!

How much is you time worth??????

Yes it does take time to put things up for auction. A lot more time then You are considering.

17. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

[​IMG]

Up to now I have refrained from posting in this thread, but then again I don't normally go around talking to the wall or posts out in the corral. I will admit to reading this thread one in awhile, but now that is going to end also, as there isn't a chance in --- you are goiing to convince nds he'e wrong. So go on to other items of more importance and let it be! :rolleyes:

18. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

Because ................LOL!!!!!!!!!

19. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I found your Ebay auction, #3975481204. Pretty decent coin for the price.

Under the SHIPPING INSURANCE section it was posted "NOT OFFERED".

However, under SELLER'S PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS, it says "THE SHIPPING PRICE WILL INCLUDE THE INSURANCE COST". Also says, "PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS".

Kind of ambiguous. I would have emailed asking about insurance before bidding.

I see that you left the seller great feedback. That's cool. You got your coin, you liked it, and you knew exactly how much it was going to cost.

His feedback shows a previous complaint that an item was damaged in shipping, a sports card mailed in a plain envelope.

20. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

What does this mean? At what risk? EBay won't do anything if someone tries to sell the Brooklyn Bridge on their auction site - what are they gong to do about excessive shipping? Ebay is a disgrace sometimes (I mean more so than is usual).

I have seen where people have a dutch auction for 1 cent opening bid (and enough items where no one has to go higher), and they chnarge 19.99 for shipping for example. This is a way to get around paying ebay fees. Theprofit is obvioulsy in the postagem but that is off eBay's fee schedule.

So, a $6 posrage charge on a $6 item for example, will not even catch eBay's notice.

21. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

You had a little sympathy from me until I read these comments.

When I go to the store to buy something, I pay what is on the price tag (and maybe a little tax levied by the state). I do not expect to get to the cash register and then have the owner tack on extra charges to cover his rent, gas bill, electricity, cost of gasoline to drive to the store in the morning, etc. etc. etc. Those costs are part of the cost of doing business, and they are included in the cost of the item.

In my opinion, all that should be the same with ebay. If you have overhead, it should be included in the opening bid price. The exception might be if a specific item requires special packaging that must be bought (mailing tube, etc.) and can not be recycled or scavenged (or gotten from the PO free, such as boxes).

This is just my opinion, and people are free to do what they want (since I know eBay will not really get involved anyway). If an item is more expensive then the “handling” fees are less of an issue. But, when someone wants a s/h fee that is 100% or more of the cost of the item, that is highway robbery or stupidity, or both. (I hope this isn’t your policy, as I don’t mean any personal offense at this particular comment).

Anyway, I stay far away from auctions with high or undefined shipping fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted