Nice Coin Recieved But Ripped Off On Shipping

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nds76, May 28, 2005.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I sold a roll of nickels over ebay with my bro-in-law the other day and when I saw that shipping was $1 less than I said I sent the guy the $1 back with the coin...now I could have done a few things...sent it cheaper and gotten a few more dollars or I could send it the best way and send back the guy a dollar...I think it was alright to send him back money...I made a friend and he mgith be willing to buy more from me if I ever sell any more.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nds76

nds76 New Member

Once I paid $2.00 postage for a coin and I was ok with that fee. However, it was sent in a 37 cent stamp envelope, but it came to my mailbox with POSTAGE DUE. I paid ample postage and should not have paid the postage due.

David

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

That's correct as far as it goes. nds76's point is that he thought he was paying the bid amount for the coin PLUS insured shipping. All he got for his money was the coin.

5. mitchell

mitchell Senior Member

Shipping is the first thing I check on an ebay auction.

IIRC, ebay doesn't get commission on shipping, so it might just be that the seller was trying to prevent ebay from getting as much, and seller expected shipping to be a consideration.

One thing you could do; if the seller has left you feedback, which most shysters do not until you leave for them, leave him neutral feedback indicating the ripoff. At least in the future, he might be a little more straight up.

6. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

Speedy, you did the right thing. I sold a large item on eBay once and had no idea what shipping would cost, so I listed what I believed would be the approximate cost for shipping figuring that if it cost more, I would just eat the loss.

Well, after all was said and done, the shipping turned out to be about $5.00 less than i figured... so, I put $5.00 in an envelope and sent it with the item.

Even though the buyer had agreed to my shipping price, I didn't think it was fair to make profit in such a way.

HONESTY is ALWAYS the best policy, Speedy! I'm proud of you. You will notice that you sleep better at night, too... :D

7. nds76

nds76 New Member

Have any of you ever got an item from eBay and ended up paying a POSTAGE DUE because the seller didn't use the entire shipping amount you paid?

David

8. Speedy

CoinOKC...well...I try not to make any body mad...I try to go the other mile but other times its hard to do that..

Speedy

9. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Does the Post Office still deliver with postage due ? I was thinking that, with first class mail, the Post Office quit delivering with postage due ten years ago or so.

10. nds76

nds76 New Member

This was last year. I had to pay postage due. I was shocked! The mail carrier left a little envelope to put in the postage owed. I was ticked off.

David

11. Speedy

Last I heard at the post office was that they will send letters with Postage due as long as there is some postage on the letter to start with...so if you send a 37 cent letter and put a 20 cent stamp on they will send it.

Now this was a long time ago so they might have changed.

Speedy

12. nds76

nds76 New Member

Why do sellers change $2.00 or $5.00 for postage when all they use is a 37 cent stamp??

David

13. Speedy

So they can make some money---how would you like buying a coin for $3.00 and selling it for $3.00...the shipping charge is so they can be sure they make some money.
    If you don't like how much they charge for shipping don't buy it or try to negotiate the shipping with the sellers--sometimes that works for me.

Speedy

14. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I sell a great deal of things on e-bay, no coins though.

I charge a flat fee of $6 for shipping and handling, and for that you get priority mail. If you don't count my time, gas, etc i probably make $1 on shipping, which i beleive is fair.

I also make sure to have a shippng discount on multiple items!

I have purchased coins and currency from sellers on ebay, the ones i keep coming back to have a shipping discount. One of my favorite sellers deals in crisp foreign currency, he charges $2 for shipping and $1.50 for insurance no matter what the quantity! so i will buy 20-50 bills at a time... really helps.

My point is, their are good sellers at ebay, you just need to do some research, maye some test buys.

15. JoeMoney

JoeMoney New Member

Thats two dollars they do not have to pay fees to ebay on

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'd probably leave him a posiive but I would state that he charges $5 and ships using 37 cent stamp. That woud warn others.

17. nds76

nds76 New Member

Sellers should be turned in for scamming eBay by avoiding final ending fees for auctions they sell. Plus sellers should be responsible for PayPal fees, not the buyer.

David

18. pob374

pob374 New Member

I have always looked at the shipping cost before I place a bid,and used that amount to determine my highest bid.if the price gets to high i just let it go.

19. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

I have only received one negative feedback on ebay. I clearly stated that I charge $2.75 for shipping and HANDLING. I did use a 37 cent stamp. The coin was well protected. TO The negative feed leaver, Don't YOU even READ the auction before You bid on it.

I was really ticked off for my 1st and only negative. YES I do (edited) my Shipping and HANDLING FEES to cover the (edited) and (edited) FEES. Otherwise it Would NOT be worth it to sell some items on ebay.

STOP whinning and READ the Auction. READ, READ, READ. Don't bid or don't complain, simple!!!!!!!!!!

20. Salesrep

Salesrep Senior Member

Amen!

21. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Errorcoins,

It sounds like you received an undeserved negative. I think most people understand that sellers use the postage to cover the ebay and paypal fees as well as the actual postage, envelope, padding, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted