Nice Coin Recieved But Ripped Off On Shipping

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nds76, May 28, 2005.

1. nds76

nds76 New Member

I just got an 1894-O Barber quarter on eBay for $5.50, and the shipping was $5.00 and when I got the coin yesterday, it was in an envelope with a 37 cent stamp. Talk about highway robbery!

David

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spider

Spider ~

ouch man, thats why I hate buying from ebay. You get a good price but shipping makes you pay over the value of the coin.

4. nds76

nds76 New Member

I just wish there was something eBay could do about such high shipping charges. For $5.00 shipping you could have expected insurance and priority mail, not just a 37 cent stamp.

David

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

When shipping is that much I wouldn't even buy the coin unless it was high grade and I could still make a dollar on it.

Speedy

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Maybe you can request a refund of $4.63 for the shipping overcharge.

Not that you'll get it. But you might.

7. nds76

nds76 New Member

Honestly I would like to know how the seller comes up with these shipping charges. How do they figure it cost that much to ship a coin when they intend to use an envelope? Normally I would not have bid, but this was a decent coin. The coin is probably a G or VG, full rims, the liberty head is worn but the lettering is strong and isn't running into the rims.

David

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Maybe they rationalize it by calling it "shipping and handling", implying it if not stating it.

9. nds76

nds76 New Member

I was reading the eBay forums under the Shipping Forum. Seems 99% are for high shipping costs. They have an attitude about don't like it don't bid or shop elsewhere. I bet those who are the ones who are charging the high fees. Seems those are against the high fees are in the minority.

David

10. JoeMoney

JoeMoney New Member

I always thought you consider shipping before bidding and that people jack the shipping up because it gives the appearance of a good buy and they do not have pay fees to ebay on shipping.

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Then the buyer just has to be careful to include the shipping cost in the purchase, and discount down his maximum bid accordingly.

There's a thread on another forum where someone bid $0.01 for a cent coin, and wound up paying $5.01 with shipping.

I saw another thread where a seller was auctioning a one cent coin worth about one cent, and the thread originator was asking why nobody was bidding on it. The answer (besides the fact it was 1909 VDB plain, not 'S') was the $5.00 shipping.

This may be the newest scam on ebay. Sell coins worth less than a quarter and then profit on the shipping.

12. nds76

nds76 New Member

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When it comes to shipping charges - you agree to pay the listed shipping charges when you make a bid on an item. So if I was the one doing the bidding I'd find it hard to justify complaining about something I had already agreed to do.

I can easily understand complaining about high shipping charges BEFORE bidding on an item - and then deciding not to bid on it because of them.

But to complain AFTER agreeing to the shipping charges by bidding on an item makes no sense to me. I mean - YOU are the one who is agreeing to pay them :confused:

14. cdcda

cdcda New Member

I think the problem is not the high shipping charges, but rather the fact that many bidders simply do not thoroughly read the listing before bidding on the item (not saying that was the case here nds76). If more bidders took note of the shipping cost, and calculated it into the purchase price of the coin, a higher percentage might choose not to bid on these auctions.

If auctions with out of line shipping charges started to receive zero bids, or a lower hammer price than those with accurate shipping charges, you might start to see changes made by eBay sellers. The problem you have right now, if you want to call it a problem, is that sellers are attempting to mazimize their profit by charging what they can for shipping and handling. And, whether on eBay or in a brick-and-mortar store, a seller is ALMOST ALWAYS going to try to charge you the highest prize they can - thereby maximizing profit.

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Let's say you want something worth $2.00 to you, and the seller wants $5.00 for scamming ... er, I mean, shipping (did I say that out loud ?) .

If they don't specify a minimum bid, then I assume you could bid a MINUS $3.00 ( - $3.00) so that you wind up getting the coin for $2.00. After all, it's not YOUR fault if the seller doesn't read the fine print (the minus sign). ;)

16. nds76

nds76 New Member

Yes, maybe I agreed to the charge since I bid on it. But I really wanted the coin but in the back of my mind I was against the exessive charge. I would expect insurance and good packaging for $5.00 and not a 37 cent stamped envelope. That's where my real beef is.

David

17. txwille

txwille New Member

Some good ideas posted here. If I make a bid on Ebay I figure out what the coin is worth to me, subtract the shipping fee and come up with my maximum bid price. Lose lots of bids, but end up winning one now and then. Also find that I can usually find something in the local market at a comparable price and actually get to see the item and negotiate with no shipping involved.

18. satootoko

satootoko Retired

No way, its actually one of the oldest. :mad:

19. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

David, I think the bottom line is this: Is the coin worth $10.50 to you? If it is (or for that matter, if it's worth MORE than $10.50) then you got a good deal.

I think that sellers on eBay should spend approximately what they charge for shipping. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but it all evens out in the long run.

I don't agree with sellers making a huge profit on shipping. If they advertise that they're charging $5.00 for shipping, then they should at least wrap the coin in a lot of wrapping paper and send it Priority Mail.

So, you got burned on the shipping charge on this one. If the coin is worth it, then no problem. You could always leave "neutral" feedback, however... :)

20. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Sometimes it is not what is said, but rather what is left unsaid. The seller should have stated the shipping method and most likely did not do so in a somewhat shady attempt to maximize his profit on the transaction. But, potential bidders should have also noted that he did not, and could have inquired about it before bidding.

21. Salesrep

Salesrep Senior Member

I don't understand post like this. the price for you buy anything at is all the charges combined. When you pay sales tax on things the price it cost you is the price plus tax. When you order a coin from the mint it is the price plus shipping cost. You did't pay $5.50 for the coin you paid $10.50 and if you wanted to recoup your money you need to get at least $10.50 for the coin. When I bid on things it is based on the total price it's going to cost me and it really can't be any other way. I don't mind buying something for a penny and paying $10 shipping if that is my total target price for that item. E-bay is a game and you need to know how to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted