Nice coin from Koln (Cologne)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 17, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

One of many coins I have from Koln.
    AV Dukat 1723 Bonn Mint
    Archbishop Joseph Klemens Von Bayern 27310c107e1bb0bf4b548d0e88aa1fd0.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice score!

panzerman likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am not seeing this in my Krause catalog. I do not see Koln listed in German States.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    panzerman likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wonderful reverse! Wise men bearing gifts... camels!

PS- I was trying to remember if it was at Cologne Cathedral where the remains of the Three Kings are supposedly interred. Indeed it is. Interestingly, the Wikipedia article says some medieval bracteate coins were found inside their shrine when it was opened in 1864.

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

Cologne was always ruled by Archbishops/ who were under the Holy Roman Emperor in Vienna. Theodor Von Moers, was a really famous ruler. He served in the Battle of Tannenberg as a Teutonic Knight commander/ later became Archbishop. You have to admire a man who can swing a sword and also offer prayers:)

RAGNAROK likes this.
  7. panzerman

I think you have to go to German States/ see Cologne=English version of Koln.

8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you are right. I found it with your help. German States/Cologne. Koln. KM#121, 1723 FW, Ducat, .986 gold, weight- 3.5 g or .1109 oz.
    2002 Krause catalog
    grade/value
    VG-$350 F-$700 VF-$1,500 XF-$3,000
    I am sure the prices are higher now. I always like doing the research on your coins and learning more about them. that's a high purity of gold number.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  10. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

That's one cool reverse design. Keep'em coming!

panzerman likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

panzerman, I've been watching your posts for a long time & really admire your style & selections. This one is no exception. Been to the Cathedral & it is magnificent!

RAGNAROK, lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  12. panzerman

Mine is mint state, I got it for 5000 euros in 2010. Now its valued at 25K in UNC.
    John
    PS: I am always broke, but the coins keep going up, quadruple any inflation rate:happy:
    Coins are FUN (my reason to collect) but also greatest investment on planet as a bonus.

RAGNAROK, spirityoda and Nathan401 like this.
  13. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Your coins are fantastic and historical...make sure your heirs are WELL aware they are not to be sold for bullion/at a pawnshop etc. In fact give them the names of three agents or auction houses so these treasures remain :).

Wow, now that sounds morbid. Oops. Love looking at your collection.

spirityoda and panzerman like this.
  14. panzerman

Yes, my wife made sure of that:).....since I am a complete idiot, when out with the boys, on snowmobiling trips. Even had my Corvette past the 280kph on a secluded highway;) Its the invincibility syndrome, my highly decorated uncle, must have had that in his DNA too, when he took on 70 heavy Soviet tanks with his buddies. In the end they (4 Tiger crews) knocked out 65/ sent 5 packing/ with no losses. Hopefully, my guardian Angel will protect me, and keep me collecting for LONG time. In my book, collecting coins/banknotes/ working crazy hrs/ playing hard/ being optomistic....keeps one young and fit. I hopefully, Mr. Trump is listening!
    John

RAGNAROK and spirityoda like this.
  15. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Very tough coin panzerman! Your threads never disappoint. You have an eye for both quality and design.

This is one of the first talers in my German States sede vacante set and still one of my favorites. This taler is far from "gem", but it has a nice even look to it. NGC graded it F-15. Scarce issue (as are most from Cologne during this period of time). DAV-5153.
    1688-taler-both.jpg

PaulTudor, RAGNAROK, chrisild and 6 others like this.
  16. panzerman

Very nice Taler, thanks for posting it. It would have been a tough choice back then, to have spent such a beautifull coin. Nowadays, the coins are mass produced, no effort made to create impressive designs:(

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a terrific thaler, too.

18. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

WOW some Dukat John....

lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  19. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Old thread.....new acquisition. This is an upgrade I managed to win in the recent Heritage auction. Tough piece from 1761. 1761-cologne-AU55-combined.jpg

20. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Oh, it's never old - that's a beauty, congrats!

wcg and panzerman like this.
  21. panzerman

Draft saved Draft deleted