Nice coin from Bayern....

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, May 3, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I got this beauty from Kunker Auction a few years ago.
    AV 5 Dukaten 1640 Munchen Mint
    Maximilian I 1598-1651

This impressive coin was struck during the Thirty Years War 1618-48. Maximilian was allied with the Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III, King Philip IV of Spain vs the Protestant Armies of Sweden who were aided by France under Cardinal Richelieu.... b38e4882c320a8fe5165a4172e7a9b3b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Stunning. It almost looks like an aerial city view, which would've been difficult since I don't think there was even any ballooning yet at the time.

Seattlite86 and panzerman like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

awesome coin. while trying to look it up in my Krause catalog. is it German States/Bavaria KM#62 5 Ducat 1640 ??? what grade is this coin ?

panzerman likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I go to put my catalog away and guess what I see on the cover of my 2003 catalog ??? your coin... what are the odds ??? lol :cool::cat::cat::cat:

Image05032018193117.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  6. panzerman

Thanks!
    The coin was graded "stempelglanz" by Kunker. That would be MS-65/66 if slabbed. There are lots of these still around today:happy:
    John

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That's one of my favorite things about German coins is the city views they put on the reverse of their Thalers.

8. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Awesome coin! Congrats !!

panzerman likes this.
  10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Bayern = Bavaria

With Panzerman? Probably quite high.

11. Seattlite86

YES! That's exactly what I'm talking about. I love seeing these things in shops and at the coin shows in Germany. Too bad they're more than I'm ready to spend on them; they're so beautiful and intricate. Thanks for sharing!

12. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Truly extraordinary piece Panzerman. Wow.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

That would explain why many of these city-view pieces have that oddly angled view. Top of a hill view :)

panzerman likes this.
  14. panzerman

Regensburg/ Nurnburg/ Basel were famous for their "city view" coin types. The 1741 AV 30 Dukaten from Basel is to die for.....
    A FDC example sold recently for over a million Swiss Francs/ Sincona Auction....
    John

coinsareus10 and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Yes, it must have been a vantage point from the top of a hill... or a skilled, imaginative engraver.

16. lordmarcovan

Can't resist posting my Tigurum (Zurich) 1739 cityview half-thaler again. Love this coin. It seems to be a crowd-pleaser, too.

Click the max-resolution TrueView image on the cert page and you can really zoom in on the finer details. I wonder how long it took to engrave those dies!

[​IMG]

17. panzerman

It would have been really hard to spend those beautifull Talers/ Dukats back then, esp. if you had a freshly minted one. Zurich also made some magnificent coinage. Cannot say the same for "today's mediocre" coin designso_O Nice example Lordmarcovan!

18. Seattlite86

:wideyed:

panzerman likes this.
  19. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Here's Regensburg.
    1775_GS_Regensburg_THc.jpg

20. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It is also eye pleasing. I drool every time you post this coin!:hungry:

21. panzerman