Nice Bank Find

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by vintagemintage, May 3, 2016.

1. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Saw my favorite Bank Teller again today and she told me she had some old coins that I might want to look at. Apparently an older man had come in a few weeks ago with his Granddaughter and a jar of coins to exchange. The Teller saw what they had and suggested that they might be worth more at a coin shop but they didn't want to be bothered with that, just wanted to exchange them, so she saved them for me. I picked these out of the pile!
    IMG_20160503_121620041[1].jpg IMG_20160503_121643853[1].jpg
    Sometimes it helps to have friends at the bank;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. onecenter

onecenter Member

Now, that is treasure!

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not the first time I've come across the response "I don't want to bother with a coin shop" or "I don't trust the coin shop". Seems there's room for a bit of public-relations improvement in the industry...

Hope you're keeping that teller well-supplied with treats!

eddiespin and Paul M. like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Insane find, congrats. Runs the whole spectrum.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Other than quarters, I guess. Maybe those went into the parking meter out front.

largecent37 likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Awesome find! Makes me want to schmooze the tellers at my bank some more and ask them to save any old coins for me. Got them chocolates a few weeks ago. Gotta think of something a little more.

8. vintagemintage

Absolutely! Went to a nicer bakery and bought treats for the whole staff.

9. vintagemintage

Absolutely
    Actually there were 2 quarters in there but I can only see the silver Canadian in the photo, I'll have to check the pile again when I get home. I only had time to snap a few photos before I had to run, haven't even checked the dates yet.

10. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'm watching for updates to this

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My guess is that they get tarred with the same brush as pawn shops by non-coin people. I still don't understand why would one cash in silver for face value though.

12. vintagemintage

Or wheats, or buffalos, or any obsolete coins... I often wonder why too but gladly accept that it happens, probably more often than we know. Maybe they just don't know where to go or how much more than face value it's worth. A bigger question to me is why do tellers tell me that they know it's worth more, then exchange it to me at face? Not all do, I've had a few tell me they buy it themselves, and why not?

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I understand why people might not bother with Buffalo nickels and Wheaties. Plenty of 'em aren't worth more than face value. But silver?? Any 90% silver coin is currently worth well over 12x face just for the metal value alone!

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

15. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Ya, nice find.

My cousin works at a bank and grabbed this for me Tuesday.
    [​IMG]

Not from San Fransisco though :(

Paul M., NOS, CoinZone and 3 others like this.
  16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I would guess that about 99% of the population does not know one coin from another.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

It does pay to have a friend at the bank. Best find I've seen in a few years. Good job!!

18. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

My uncle works at a bank. In January, he gave me lots of silver halves (oldest was 1906D) And an 1899O Morgan. It was a G-5 though. He keeps telling me to take more, and I have to decline because there's like $150 in silver in there.

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Why not ask your Uncle for a loan?

20. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

:shame:
    I don't know, but he'll be the first one I will ask.

21. tj carr

tj carr New Member

true story bank employees see a lot of interesting stuff. some days opening coin rolls looks like the foreign exchange. when was the last time you saw a ''trolley car penny''. when you work near mbta boston quite frequently. got one as a gift. looked at it recently, put the magnifier to it, this one never met the mbta ..... mint issue (mint mangled) planchet 50% streached 50 % offset with date. whats this gem worth?

Draft saved Draft deleted