Nice ATB and State quarters

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Noah Worke, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Hey folks, I mostly search cents but I get quarters occasionally as well. My question here is: Is it a good idea to keep nice modern quarters? I have my folders filled with my nicest ones, and my War in The Pacifics are my favorite. Is it a good idea to keep the really nice ones? I'm talking about ones that were probably fresh from the reserve when I got them in change, the edges are sharp and shiny, the fields have few scratches, same with the design elements. I'm keeping them in rolls for now, as well as some bicentennials (Also purely because they are cool). So what do you do with yours? Would you keep a roll of each; would you keep any? Just wondering.

-Noah Worke

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dima

Dima Member

I'd say collect/keep/hoard whatever makes you happy :)

If you enjoy the modern quarters (there are certainly more than a few very neat designs throughout the few modern 25C series), then definitely a good idea to fill out a folder/binder and/or rolls.

I myself hoard every single bicentennial quarter I find. I know that their value does not exceed $.25, but I think they're special and have a few rolls of them in various circulated grades.

Inspector43 and spirityoda like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The term "few scratches" is meaningless. If they won't grade MS68, they are only album-fillers.

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

When it comes to modern quarters, I only keep a few specific designs. I only keep issues such as Acadia, Chaco Culture, and El Yunque due to their relatively low mintages.

Noah Worke likes this.
  6. Noah Worke

I suppose "Few scratches" makes it seem like it's distracting, it isn't necessarily. They're more like smaller abrasions, you have to look closely to notice them. They're typical on many coins, I only have a few dollars that don't have similar things.

I certainly will! I have completely filled a 1999-2008 folder for quarters, and I still keep the nice ones. I can't bring myself to get rid of shiny quarters, especially not quarters with my favorite designs. I agree, the bicentennials are fun to collect, I'm only missing a bicentennial Eisenhower dollar.

7. cpm9ball

I made a bunch of money submitting business strike SQ's to NGC for MS68's. Certified SQ's in MS67 don't even cover the cost of grading, and it doesn't take much in small hits and dings to drop a coin to MS67.

slackaction1 likes this.
  8. Noah Worke

That's interesting, I didn't know that. That seems like a big price gap, I was under the impression that state quarters didn't carry much value, even in high grades. I understand what you mean, if I see a quarter or other coin that is really nice but has a gouge in it somewhere, I wouldn't spend as much money on it either.

9. Noah Worke

I didn't know they were low mintages, but I guess that makes sense. Took me forever to find some for my folder, and I still have some from 2010-11 missing. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Vicksburg quarter in a while, luckily I already have one. (Edit: I'm new here, and I see I have a value near my profile picture called "Points". What are points and their purpose, I didn't see anything about them.)

10. cpm9ball

On average, I would sell NGC MS68 SQ's for $150. I always assumed that most of the buyers were those who wanted the high grades for their Registry Sets.

Noah Worke likes this.
  11. Noah Worke

That seems really good. Accounting for grading fees of about 30? If I'm correct, that is a profit upwards of 100 dollars per 25 cent coin.

12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

How old are you? If you have a chance to have kids or grandkids that may become collectors saving some back will give them a pool to pick from.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Mike Davis likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

The NGC grading fee was $12.50 at the time. I'd save half the cost of shipping & insurance by submitting the coins at the FUN Show in January.

Draft saved Draft deleted