Nic-A-Date Test

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WoodenSpoon Boy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

UPDATE: after about 6 days in vinegar with a pinch of salt I appear to have a 1914-S nickel!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. uncwstudent

uncwstudent New Member

Holy Crap. Does that really not damage the coin?

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, it does damage the coin! Badly enough that many wouldn't have it. But!!! there are some who wish to fill a blank rare album hole and will use such a damaged coin for that purpose. The original coin was only worth cents, the acid found date of 1914-S makes it worth more to those who will collect them.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Yes, But......
    You started with a dateless nickel that might have been worth 10¢. After it was damaged and the date was readable, it might be worth several dollars. If he were lucky enough to find a 1913-S, they go for $50 - $100 after being treated. 1918/17 go for more. Just as a caution, though, if that date were at all readable as a 13-S, it might go for over $200.

6. uncwstudent

uncwstudent New Member

WOW. Does it only work for nickels??

7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Dang... This thread inspired me to order a bottle and play around.

These both came out of my first roll. 1914 D and 1913 D Type II. I'm gonna toss em on EBay as fillers and see what they do. Might pay for my bottle of nic-a-date. 13d1.jpg 13d2.jpg
    14d1.jpg 14d2.jpg

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, I much prefer the look of nickels soaked in vinegar. I brings out more detail on the rest of the coin and it does not show the discoloration where the nic-a-date was used. Having said that, I am in the category of those who do not own any of them.

9. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Sometimes they turn out pretty nice.
    [​IMG]

10. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

I got 11 dollars for face from a dealer, I thought vinegar would be more better if I found a key date. All of them are type 2... In your opinion if there were 2 1914 D nickels in the EXACT same condition but one was nic-a-dated and one was vinegar which one would you buy?

11. superc

superc Active Member

Sometime back, around 1975, I began binning spare change based on what denomination it was. I had a pail for what was collectible, and one for pennies, one for wheat pennies (got them so often back then they got their own pail) one for sandwich dimes, quarters and one for nickels, either Jeffersons (mostly 64s of course) and undated buffaloes. When congress passed a law banning the melting down of nickel, I missed the news. Went through my wife's own collection of coins (she too had a bin which was a single 5 gallon paint can) and threw all the non-dated collectible nickels into my Jefferson bin. Dumb me. I used to tell her the nickel bin was where the big money was, because of the melt value. In 2012 I started to reduce holdings and I was horrified to discover nickel (and copper) US coins could no longer be sold as scrap metal. About 60 or 70 pounds worth of Jefferson and un-dated Buffalo nickels therefore went into local coinstar machines. Now, with hindsight, I wish someone had told me then about nic-a-date.

12. What is the process for soaking them in vinegar? Just put it in? Add something to it? I want nic-a-date but I might as well use what I have around the house!

13. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I am doing my first test on 9 nickels now. Put the face up in white vinegar and add a teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. People say soaking it in just vinegar can take weeks. Mine have soaked for 1 day in this solution and can see all but maybe 3 dates. Something about the peroxide that speeds up the process. Found a 1914 D in my tray!. This could get addicting!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

14. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yeah,Vinegar is a LOT cheaper and no shipping charges.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Brings back memories of years ago when I bought a couple rolls of dateless (at $3/roll) and hung out in the chem lab with a bottle of 90% HNO3 under a fume hood.

Oh, to be young and stupid. Now, I'm not young anymore ;)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  17. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

Me Too Oldhoopster :oldman:

18. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Bringing back this old Thread.
    Bought 1,000 dateless Buffalos last week for $0.08 each. I have used nic-a-date on 500 so far. Found P,D,S Type II 1913, (2) 1926 S, (3) 1914 S, (1) 1931 S, and many other D and S dates. I hope to complete a folder when finished.

19. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Before and after photos please?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Does the Nic-A-Date turn the buffalos ghost white like the vinegar/peroxide solution does?

21. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I did not take any before photos. I can when I start on the next batch in a couple weeks. As for after photos, I might be able to when finished with batch 2.

Yes, Nic-A Date does leave a white spot where applied to the coin. You only need a tiny drop and usually within a couple minutes the date comes through. If left on too long, the area turns dark brown or black. Some coins will not reveal the date with multiple applications.

Draft saved Draft deleted