nic-a-date recipe help.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coingeek12, Aug 4, 2013.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

hello cointalk,
    if you know me, I am very inpatient. and the vinegar is not helping at all. I have two buffalo nickels I want to test this stuff on. I know I need hydrogen peroxide, and something else, dose anyone know what that is?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

The nica date comes in bottles already made.

4. coingeek12

I know that, I was just asking if anyone knows how to make it
    (very low on funds)

5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I think any acid will do the same thing if you're just looking to bring out the date, but I'm not sure of the exact formula for Nic-A-Date and I'm sure it's proprietary.

gunnovice09 likes this.
  6. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

It's like 10 dollars a bottle and by the time you by all the ingredients I'm sure it'll be over that price.

7. coingeek12

nic a dates only active ingredient is ferric chloride, which is hard to come by, and dangerous to make.
    I don't want to break the budget, or myself.

8. coingeek12

I've got the hydrogen peroxide (its always in my medical cabinet) all I need is another ingredient. but what?

9. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Like I said it is probably cheaper, safer, and easier to either buy the actual nica date or to have some patience and use vinegar.

10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Impatience and coin collecting do not go together well. Pretty much everything in this hobby revolves around patience.

(CRHing, soaking ancients, cherrypicking, and getting the best deal you can on coins all require patience.)

11. coingeek12

I know, so does that and guitar playing. buts its helping me get over my impatience. a lot. one year ago, it was ten times worse.

12. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Also, I'm betting there is more to nica date than just Hydrogen peroxide and one other thing.

13. coingeek12

nope, i've looked it up. its hydrogen peroxide and something else. its like a pool cleaner or something. all I know is that it something I don't have. I was wondering if someone knew of a different recipe.

ps, the thing that I want to make looks better on the coin, so ive heard.

14. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Just mix some muriatic acid(cheap and easy to get) with hydrogen peroxide. I'd start off weak. Maybe 5 parts peroxide with 1 part acid. Remember to pour the acid into the peroxide.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

DON'T DO THIS. The mixture will release chlorine gas over time, and it will trash your coins. It's a terrible, terrible idea -- it's dangerous to you, your family, and your coins.

I always thought of hydrochloric (muriatic) acid as the safest of the "big three" mineral acids (the other two are nitric and sulfuric). But I just trashed a kitchen counter thanks to a spill that I didn't even notice at the time. Coingeek12, how do you think your parents will feel if an accident like that happens?

I'll try to find the thread where someone tried adding salt to a vinegar soak for nickels. Let's just say that the results were NOT pretty -- and that mix would be far, far less aggressive than an HCl-H2O2 mix.

Maybe BadThad will chime in if I'm terribly off-base here, but this sounds like a disaster in the making.

gunnovice09 likes this.
  16. enochian

enochian silver eater

Nic a date is 4.99 at wizard coin also have you checked your lcs to see if they have it or can get it cheaper

17. coingeek12

jeffb- he did leave them in there for over a week, without checking. I wonder what a day would do? and, btw thanks for the warning. I was about to go get some. :eek:

enochian- I was able to decode your post all the way save for lvs. what is tjat?

(misspelling intended)

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Being impatient & mixing random chemicals may end you in hospital. Hospital bill is more likely to be more expensive than a couple of nickels.

There was a time when I was not careful when mixing chemicals and it essentially ate my gloves. Not worth it.

19. enochian

enochian silver eater

sorry my letters get mixed up a lot i check cointalk on my cellphone during my morning routine. that was sulposed to say lcs

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

For someone who cannot make vinegar work (strong white vinegar I guarantee will work in time), you had really better leave the mixing hazardous chemical to the professionals. Hydrochloric acid can kill you - really!

BTW, the formula jallengomez gave you would be strong enough to dissolve the entire nickel in short order.

If you really want to try something, you might try peroxide by itself. They are typically acidic just to stabilize the peroxide.

gunnovice09 likes this.
  21. coingeek12

tried that already. left some ugly splotches on the nickel. nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted