NGS Checking authenticity of a coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coindude22, Jan 23, 2020.

1. coindude22

coindude22 New Member

Is there a quick way to check the bar code number that is on the label of a coin to ensure it is really a certified MS70.

I have a 2015 Silver Eagle but is heavenly toned I'm assuming if it's authentic but I doubt it's MS70 any longer.

Thanks.
    Tim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

You can look up the certification # on both the NGC and PCGS websites. That's assuming it's certified by one of these companies.

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

5. coindude22

coindude22 New Member

The label has NGS....not NGC
    ngscoin.com does not exist
    upload_2020-1-23_19-55-32.png

Attached Files:

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

No information on this grading company. Any TPGS without a website, address, phone number or email are usually "self-slabbers" who grade their own coins, sell them, and don't accept submissions from the general public. These companies are not recommended unless one can tell, first-hand, that the coin is authentic, problem free (not cleaned or damaged), and graded appropriately.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that. Treat that coin as if it were raw and ignore anything on the label.

dlts, Stevearino and ripple like this.
  8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I wish the OP had post that question WITH the picture first! :banghead:

coin dog and paddyman98 like this.
  9. coindude22

coindude22 New Member

Thanks. I contacted the seller, seems they have other self-labeled coins but cover their butts by saying "grading is subjective"

ripple likes this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

All their guarantee covers is that the type or series of coin is real and not counterfitted. That looks like some sort of bullion from what I can see. The grade is not "guarenteed authentic" .

GenX Enthusiast and ripple like this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

NGS or NGC?

One of these is a reputable company.

One of these is intentionally deceitful and trying to make you think you're buying something good but you aren't.

12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Could you post photos of both sides of the entire coin. Thank you.

13. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

If this was an ebay sale keep in mind that ebay doesn't allow any grades to be listed other than the the top 4 grading companies, pcgs, ngc, anacs and icg, all other companies that are out there and listed on eBay must be listed as uncertified without indication of a numerical grade.
    NGS-NuGrade or TruGrade have been out of business for years and were never recognized as authentic and the grades are false. There is no database to check the certification number or bar code.

Stevearino and ripple like this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

NGS is a basement slabber, the coin is probably authentic but the grade on the label should be ignored, they chances of it getting the same grade at one of the major services is miniscule.

Stevearino, paddyman98 and ripple like this.
  15. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

Can you please post pictures of both sides to help alert others here not to be fooled?
    Thanks

16. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

Found this when searching:

NGS-Coin (NGS) Price, Chart, Value & Market Cap | CoinCodex

coincodex.com/crypto/ngs-coin
    NGS Coin
    is a platform for the future of funding that is built on top of the Ethereum blockchain. It accelerates growth of start-up companies by offering tools and services that save both time and resources. Investors can use services to divide their investments between various services like P2P loans, crowdfunding, etc

ripple likes this.
  17. robec

robec Junior Member

That's true, but claiming the coin is Guaranteed Authentic is not subjective.

18. coindude22

coindude22 New Member

19. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm not a grading expert but IMO it appears that the marks on the Sun and marks on the left side of the reverse would keep it from being a MS70. More knowledgeable members can give a better opinion. As I understand it, MS70 means the coin is as close to being perfect as possible.

dltsrq, Brina, ripple and 1 other person like this.
  20. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

It's nowhere near MS70, but it does look authentic to me.

Islander80-83, paddyman98 and ripple like this.
  21. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

ngscoin.co/ is not relative to the OP, but it is a investment portfolio company that offers IPO services for investors from my understanding. These basement slabs are prevalent on eBay and I've never seen any of them at major auction houses. There are many of them :

INB - International Numismatic Bureau
    NNC - National Numismatic Certification
    SGS - Star Grading Service
    ANGS - American Numismatic Grading Service
    NAC - Numismatic Authentication Company
    NCC - Numismatic Collectors Company
    NES - Numismatic Evaluation Service
    NPG - Numismatic Professional Grading
    CSI - Certified Silver Investments
    USCG - US Coin Grading
    AACGS - American Alliance Coin Grading Service
    + many more

And don't forget the no-name holders made by individuals who assign a grade according to their own requirements and abilities. None of these are allowed on EBAY! I'm sure there are many of them that are counterfeit slabs with counterfeit coins as well. I've also seen some sellers who list a coin without a slab and they have a TPG label along with a ridiculous explanation of the coin. This type of misrepresentation is NOT "CREATIVE MARKETING" it is FRAUD!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted