NGC's PL & DPL Designation questions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinsnake, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I sent a submission of 6 Morgans to NGC a couple of weeks ago and today the grades became viewable online. In the order there was a coin that I am sure was PL if not DPL and it is not showing this on the online grade info.

My question is this, would it show this for sure, or is there a chance that when it arrives it could be labeled PL or DPL? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Here is the coin that I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If they thought it qualified as PL or DMPL then the grade you see now should reflect that. Personally, I don't think that coin qualifies.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Me, neither!

Chris

5. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Have you done the reflection test with a ruler and newsprint?

Looks pretty close to PL, IMO.
    Lance.

6. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I have and it is clearly readable at 5 to 5 1/2 inches.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

5-1/2" doesn't qualify for DPL, and I see some breaks in the cameo which would keep it from being PL.

Chris

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I believe that the dark toning at the top of the obv and rev both would have stopped the designation.

9. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Alright, thanks guys. I'm just kinda bummed. I thought I had a 2k coin that is now an $80 coin. In fact ive always thought I undergraded my coins, but in fact there was only one that got what I predicted. The rest got lower. One is body bagged. I guess you learn everyday. Kind of a waste of time & money this time.

10. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your coins didn't grade higher this time... but, I also learned something here myself. I appreciate that...

If 5 1/2 doesn't qualify for DPL can someone explain those qualifications for PL, DPL and such, or should I open a new thread?

11. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I wish it was labeled at least PL, but oh well. Toning or not, in hand this coin is PL. I've had over 500 Morgans and this one definitely stands out. IMO they undergraded it as well, but I'm sure you've all heard that before......

I've seen baggier and coins with more rub on the devices in 63 holders and they gave this one a 61......balogna!!!

Enough of my bellyaching. Thanks for your time everyone.

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Crack, dip, resub.

Or sell it to me and I will.

13. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Funny, I was just thinking exactly that. I've never cracked out a coin or dipped one so I'm kinda nervous.

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I suppose you could try sending it to NCS...but you risk tying up more money in this coin that you might not get back.

15. lkeigwin

If it's mostly about money/value then a diluted dip in e-z-est is worth it. Most all the toning will be lost...what you like and may not like. It will become yet another bright shiny Morgan but possibly clean and clear enough to qualify for a PL/DPL.

If it's not about the value and you love the coin as it is, please leave it alone. Or sell it to one of us! :yes:

If you were a dealer, emotionally detached from it, and assuming it is as nice as you say, that coin would be cracked and resubmitted, probably dipped first. And maybe cracked again and again.

When the spread is as wide as it is ($80 or $2k) it's a gamble playing the crackout game. Many of us have done it. Losing five times in a row really sucks. Winning on that 5th time is ecstasy. :p

Regardless, MS61 sounds insulting. I'd send it back just on principle.
    Lance.

16. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Thanks Lance. I thought for sure 62 PL, AT LEAST! Maybe 63 DPL. For now I'm gonna leave it. Maybe dip it and resubmit in a while before my membership expires, or wait until my son needs college money in 18 years. I don't know, but you're right, 61 is kinda bull. I mean look at that frosty cheek & hair!!!! And the eagles breast is WAY too nice for 61......come on. Maybe I shoulda went with PCGS or even ANACS.

17. lkeigwin

Even a single grade bump would be worth it, twice the value. MS63, four times. MS64, twenty times, more or less.

MS60-61 are usually very shabby...lots of bag hits. Sure, uncirculated, but with poor eye appeal. When PCGS introduced plus-grading 18 months ago they said 60-61 wouldn't be eligible because they couldn't imagine a high-end one.

I don't mean to incite, but your Morgan does not look at all like a 61. And I'll bet if you had done a poll first most of us would have guessed 63.

I would send it to PCGS, no dip, raw.
    Lance.

18. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I would gladly send it to PCGS if it didnt invole another membership fee.

I had posted it in another thread a few weeks ago. I didnt do a poll tho. Here's the link:
    http://www.cointalk.com/t187263/#post1228137

19. lkeigwin

If you'd like I'll submit it for you. PM me if you are interested and we can take this offline. No need to PM if you'd rather not.
    Lance.

Draft saved Draft deleted