NGC World Coins Now Sport "+" Grades

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by princeofwaldo, Apr 17, 2015.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I guess it was inevitable, but I saw a world coin at Northeast Numismatic that is graded MS64+ which is the first time I have seen this nonsense from NGC. So much for my admiration of NGC for having held-out on engaging in that sort of thing until now.

I consider the whole explanation of negating the bean services (CAC, etc) to be kind of spurious. 11 mint state grades are probably too many as it was, now we get 22 grades.

In any case, the coin is a Russian gold novodel.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

princeofwaldo and Jwt708 like this.
  4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Grades of 69 and 70 are not eligible for a plus, so actually only 20 levels of MS. ;)

Nonetheless, fret not as the plus (+) will likely be ignored on world coins just as it has been largely ignored on USA coins. This "innovation" will not go down in the history books as anything special. Just keep collecting nice coins and ignore the distractions...

princeofwaldo and Paul M. like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

But don't forget the star designation. ;) That gives you like 38 variations of MS coins.

princeofwaldo likes this.
  6. brg5658

The star is not a part of the technical grade. It is a designation for eye appeal. It has nothing to do with the numerical grade.

7. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Here is a NEWP that had the *. I assure you all I could tell the eye appeal without the notation and bid accordingly.

[​IMG]

mlov43, princeofwaldo and Paul M. like this.
  8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Maybe they're holding-out on the MS70+ grade for a year or two before announcing that going forward, MS70 really isn't the best. "Has to have the +" to be the best.

The whole affair reminds of Dr. Seuss' classic children's story, The Sneetches, and "their stars upon thars"

Paul M. and brg5658 like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I never understood the distinction between foreign and US coins - if you put + and * and such on US coins, why would you grade foreign ones differently? The market for NGC graded coins is primarily US-dominated, and the plus and star have been accepted in US grading.

I'm also happy that NGC is designating all foreign coins which qualify as "PL" now as well.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused about eye appeal. Someone stated that the star isn't part of grading, but isn't eye appeal factored into the mint state grades? I read Halperin's book and the part on mint state grading, and eye appeal is mentioned among other factors in determining the numerical grade.

11. brg5658

The star is given by NGC for exceptional eye appeal for the grade (which equates almost always to either "purdy" toning, exceptional luster, or semi-proof like surfaces that just miss PL for non-proof coins -- it means something different on proof coins, but you can Google that). The point being, NGC doesn't specifically bump the numeric market grade for a coin that is otherwise strike limited or has abrasions or hits. They don't have to since they have a way of denoting a subjectively "purdy" eye appealing factor via the star.

PCGS, on the other hand, specifically includes things like "purdy" color in the numeric grade -- even when some other technical grade-limiting things like strike or hits may be present.

You are correct that "eye appeal" is a part of any market graded coin, but having the option to denote exceptionally pretty toning on a coin via a star instead of bumping it up to 2 numeric grades means NGC grades for such coins are more informative IMO. In the end, it's up to the buyer to determine the value of a coin. If it can be obtained for what one considers "reasonable" then so be it. If not, then pass. It's sounds overly simple, but that's because it really is simple. ;)

12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, I appreciate that. I see what you're saying and it's cleared it up for me

Draft saved Draft deleted