NGC weirdness

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Sep 30, 2026 at 4:35 AM.

  1. calcol

    calcol Supporter! Supporter

    Last year sent a PCGS coin (a British Newark siege coin), graded XF40, for crossover at same grade. Coin came back as “did not cross”. So, decided I could live with one notch lower and submitted it again this year with minimum allowable grade of VF35. Guess what … came back with grade of XF40! Suppose I should be mad having paid twice for crossover but am happy it finally happened at same grade. Overall, my experience with NGC has been great. Recently, turnaround has been fast. The last 3 submissions only took a month to grade.

    During the English civil war, Newark was a supporter of Charles I. It was besieged 3 times by the parliamentarians but was never conquered. It opened its gates after Charles gave up. There was a shortage of coins in the city. So, nobles donated their silver plate which was hammered flat and cut into diamond-shaped planchets. This coin is a nine pence. I think this was the only time this denomination has appeared in British coinage.

    Pics of the coin are below.

    Mike
    Great_Britain_ninepence_1645_Newark_mlb812_pic03_2026_Stacks_Bowers_xf40_low_res.jpg
    NGC8805797-001_OBV_low_res.jpg
    NGC8805797-001_REV_low_res.jpg
     

Share This Page