NGC wants me to do NCS Conservation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by EasyE418, Jul 7, 2015.

1. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Anyone know what this means?

1995-W G$50 and 1995-W G$25 and they suggested that I do NCS Conservation on them? I assume this is because there is on set of toning and they want to clean them?

3 more to go!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

There shouldn't be toning on gold. Are you sure its not PVC contamination?

4. EasyE418

Unsure. I emailed them asking why they were recommend for NCS and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Before I sent them in, I did notice a slight reddish hue on the gold, only on the smaller ones though.

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Pics? Many people like that deep orange, red coloring on gold, but normally I think this is found on old gold, not modern stuff. I would call this toning, but I dont want to ruffle feathers. ;)

Now, that is not necessarily what NGC sees and wants to fix. Maybe there is a film of some sort they want to remove. NCS does some impressive work, see here if you are not familiar with them: http://www.ncscoin.com/gallery/conserved/index.asp

6. EasyE418

Will it make a difference in sales value?

I will post the pics when I get them, could be a while. They sent me an email with an attached invoice with the mystery grade and had no comment.

7. medoraman

The danger is they identified a foreign substance on the coin. If you do not conserve it I doubt you will receive a clean grade.

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This is very likely true.

You may even want to call them and they can explain the process in detail, costs involved, timeframes, etc. But in all likelyhood, without paying for the service, or having a skilled dealer perform it for you, you may be stuck with a problem coin, and the value goes down quick. Hard to say, it could be something major or something very minor.

9. EasyE418

So I called them.... I will reveal the mystery grade on the coins and spoil all the fun....

So both of them came out at PF69 Ultra Cameo. The lady said there is slight hazing on the reverse of the coin that they would most likely be able to remove and it may bump it to PF70.

Is it worth the $60 bucks? I'd hate to see hazing lose me even more money than $60 bucks at auction.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree! The coins are 20 years old, and there is no telling what environmental conditions they may have been subjected to. Just because they are in airtites means nothing.

Chris

11. EasyE418

But is it worth getting the haze cleaned for $60 bucks? She claims the graders are usually very good at recommending promising coins.

12. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

When I buy modern gold, I only buy MS70. As of recently, they've been at a pretty fair premium to the melt price, and I like the fact that someone has authenticated and validated that they are in fact -real. Especially after seeing so many postings on fakes with slugs inside the gold.

I will also say that I have one $5 gold from 2003 and it's showing that "orange hue" you speak of. I think it's neat, but I do know that it's possible it will increase over time. I'm not sure that it's worth sending it back in for conservation.

It might not be worth $60 now, but what about down the road? Or are you planning to sell anytime soon?

13. EasyE418

When I get em back from NGC, they will be going up for sale.

If it was the 1995-W ASE and it was $60 bucks for a chance of perfection...this wouldnt even be a thread :)

Still waiting on that one.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The coins are already there. It's not like you have to send them back and pay additional shipping & insurance fees. That haze can mean a few hundred dollars difference in eye appeal. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Chris

EasyE418 likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one thing that no one has mentioned yet is this - if NCS does clean the coins, there is no guarantee how things will turn out. In other words there been instances, and more than a few of them, when after NCS doing their thing that the coin/s become ungradeable or downgraded. This is because damage or altered surfaces were hidden by what NCS removed from the coin.

Now I am not saying that this is what will happen, I am merely trying to make you aware that it could happen. And that you should at least consider the possibility in making your decision.

16. medoraman

True sir, but I didn't worry about that possibility in this instance too much for two reasons; one they are gold, and two they are moderns. For most other cases, I would agree that many times what is under the surface debris they clean is very ugly. I would say the same with dark toning. I think people would be SHOCKED at how some coin surfaces under dark toning are in reality a corroded mess.

17. EasyE418

Funny you mention that. I specifically asked the lady if this can ruin my coin, in which she said no.

She made it seem like hazing was a fairly easy job for them to take care of.

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I hope that if NCS accidentally damages/destroys a coin that you're not stuck with it.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It could be as simple as an acetone soak. You didn't use acetone on your coins prior to submission? I do on EVERY coin I submit to give me piece of mind that organic contaminants and possible fingerprints have been stripped. I don't want problems appearing years later.

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

NCS doesn't CLEAN coins, they CONSERVE them Doug. Call them and ask for yourself. :banghead:

green18 likes this.
  21. EasyE418

I'm not messing around with any Acetone wash.

This is quick transactions for me. It won't be in my possession for too long after I receive them.

As for NCS ruining the coin, I guess I am rolling the dice and trusting their professional opinion and services that they won't destroy a pretty modern coin with slight hazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted