NGC vs. PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 12, 2009.

?

NGC or PCGS?

1. NGC

50.0%
  2. PCGS

50.0%
  1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And there are just as many stories of NGC 61's becoming PCGS 63's. Or PCGS 64's becoming NGC 58's. The same thing can be said of coins slabbed by ANACS and ICG - when crossed they were upgraded by PCGS. And it is not uncommon in the least.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Just shows inconsistency and different standards among grading companies.
    From advice given, and comparisons of coins, I will still stick by PCGS for gold, but if I do happen to see an NGC one, that is cheap, I will have to grade the coin myself, to determine if it would cross at PCGS at the same, or higher grade.

4. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

Get this....out of over a dozen NGC crack outs, not a single one graded the same when sent in for a second time. However, I've cracked out 3 NNC graded coins and all 3 came back with the exact same grade (2 at NGC & 1 at PCGS). Crazy, huh?

There was talk a few years ago about NGC developing a computer generated grading system in which the coin would be scanned and the computer would grade it based on the surfaces, but it never made it past discussion. Unfortunately, until something like that is done there will never be any consistency with the grading companies.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Martin,

While that sounds like inconsistency, I really don't think that it is. My guess is that the coins you cracked out for resubmission were cracked because you disagreed with the assigned grade. Even if NGC were accurate 99% of the time, it would be relatively easy to locate a dozen coins that were either under or overgraded. If you told us that you cracked 12 coins with examining them first and they all came back different, that would be inconsistent.

As for NNC, they typically overgrade by 3-5 points, but I have seen an occasional properly graded coin. Before E-Bay prohibited the use of TPG names in auction titles, I used to try to cherrypick these coins. However, if you are proposing that NNC is anywhere near as consistent as either PCGS or NGC, you are going to be standing alone.

I have to say that I find it a rare occurrence when I strongly disagree with a grade assigned by either PCGS or NGC.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

102 votes , split evenly , that must tell us something .

rzage

7. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Thats what I was just thinking.

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I am soon to be a certified dealer for each company as well as a CAC submission center. IMHO they each have their pros and cons. I really personally think they are interchangeable. And this isn't just because I am a certified dealer for each company. I believe in both of them equally. I personally know people who work in various positions for both companies. It's about the coins anyways right?

9. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Agreed...Coins are important... Not slabs...
    Although if you are buying coins in slabs, you have to know how to grade them yourself, or you are just buying a slab.

Draft saved Draft deleted