NGC vs ME

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinzip, Jun 22, 2018.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Welcome to round 2 of NGC photo (left) vs my photo (right)

Which one do you like?

NGC3777756-153_OBV-horz.jpg

BigTee44 and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It's a tie! :facepalm: Slab on the left and coin on the right.

charlietig, Obone, Evan8 and 2 others like this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I would give the nod to your photo. NGC obviously cares more about how their slab appears in the photo than the coin within it. You care more about the coin which is the most important part.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yours.... Hands down. I think @jtlee321 was dead on the mark. Their photography showcases their slab.

coinzip and Paul M. like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

In concept of 'right', I'm mostly that...........and I like the photog on the right better than the one on the left [phooey].

Evan8 and coinzip like this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

#1. Just me

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Why

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kripes Cheech, open thou eyes.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Your photo is far superior as theirs is obscured by shadows all over, and doesn't show the red in it's full redness.

coinzip likes this.
  11. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

That slab's reference number has a lot of 7s, which is great for "slab poker." 4 of a kind and 2 pair. Not bad

coinzip likes this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

To be fair, NGC doesnt charge for imaging.
    They do it for free, and it makes trying to pass off a counterfeit holder much much harder. Kudos to them for worrying less about glamour shots and more about the hobby itself

Beefer518 and coinzip like this.
  13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I agree that yours is better.

I've come to dig NGC's photos as well though- they seem pretty consistent and offer more of a no-frills view compared to a lot of dealer photos. Nice to have that perspective available as well when making online purchases in their slabs.

coinzip likes this.
  14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Night and day, literally, the one on the right..

coinzip likes this.
  15. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

It's the old saying you buy the coin and not the number. The more CRUDE a coin's manufacturing method the less reliable is the grading by NGC and PCGS. They do serve an important purpose being in a coin's authenticity and most casual collectors do have a good point in the saying - today if a coin is not in a slab there may be something wrong with it? Recently - venturing into Cental Amaerican Provincial rarities and of course here I am finding the TPG grading is a joke. A recent AU50 Honduras 4 Real shows no wear under a stereo microscope. Some of the top end pieces are graded 50-58 - sort of covering themselves from 60+ since it is difficult telling weakly struck areas of a coin's surface to actual circulation wear - TPG's #1 nemesis all along as with all Colonial type manufactured coins which are irregularly struck in a screw press. This comparison here is like the inquiry IMO what is your preference on a Morgan - brilliant white or rainbow toned?

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    coinzip likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yours, without a doubt. What type of lighting did you use? I see what appears to be LED reflections on each side of the slab. How did you keep the glare from hitting the slab?

coinzip likes this.
  17. Centless

Centless New Member

I reaaly like the one on the left

coinzip likes this.
  18. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I like yours a lot! I do wonder what NGC new photograde service would do. Its only $7.50 and from what I've seen, looks great!

coinzip likes this.
  19. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

Both

coinzip likes this.
  20. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I use a Dino-Lite Photo box like the one pictured below, without the microscope. I place the slab on the bottom and shoot down through the big hole, where the microscope wire is going down through. The position of the lights is just right to keep the glare off the slab.

28lgftc.jpg

21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I wonder what NGC uses? I've seen pictures of PCGS's photography room and it's quite impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted