NGC Slabbed MS66 60% Off-Center Kennedy Half; Full Date, but...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Apr 26, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Not sure if I like the toning. I welcome all comments and thoughts from all of you on what you think about it.

Here is what it looks like in direct light and not in direct light. Not sure I wanna keep it with those sharp toning lines on both sides.

0426181726a_HDR.jpg 0426181759a_HDR.jpg 0426181728a_HDR.jpg 0426181800_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    steve.e likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

awesome error coin. forget about the toning part. to see a half that far off center is amazing and rare. it also has the full date coolness. buy it. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

5. JCro57

...meaning....

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

probably meaning "buy it or I will" ;-)

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. JCro57

I thought that since he winked. But I actually already bought it, but I can return it if I didn't like it in-hand. Just trying to see if the toning bothered any error collectors

8. paddyman98

@JCro57
    I don't look at issues such as wheel marks or scratches.. If it's a nice error I like then I get it. Details grade does not bother me at all..
    I know its an issue with you but I don't know why it is?

9. JCro57

Well, honestly, I am trying to build a great collection, and without trying to come off as arrogant, also trying to build a good reputation for acquiring great pieces. So, I am particularly picky about what I acquire, and to know I have a coin that has been cleaned, or has a big scratch, a wheel mark, or a rim ding, or an ugly toning spot, would just bother me and I would see it as a waste of money and as a hassle for me or my heirs to sell or trade later. At least at the shows in the Buffalo area, no one wants "Details" grade coins and they sit in the same cases month after month despite significant discounts for very desirable dates and mintmarks for rare coins in all denominations and types.

For example, I love off-metals and wrong planchet errors, but I won't buy them if they dont have a full 4-digit date and aren't MS64 or higher. (One exception so far is my 1987 nickel struck on 25c stock at AU-53, because there are only 7 known and MS examples are multiple thousands.) And if it is stained or marked up in an undesirable spot even if the coining process itself caused a gouge or spot, I don't want it unless there are only a handful available. But I don't always want something too expensive, because often once a coin hits the $1,000 mark and up, it becomes increasingly more difficult to sell, especially esoteric error coins which have a very slim market.

So for a $350 coin such as this one in MS66 condition as a modern coin, I expected it to have much more luster and not this very noticeable toning line on both sides. I thought some input from others who collect and appreciate such pieces would help me make a more educated decision as for what to do - keep it or return it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. paddyman98

My friend.. I totally disagree!
    But you're entitled to your own opinion!
    A Mint Error is a Mint Error no matter what minor or big a flaw it has in my eyes. I have shown many Attributed Mint Errors over the years even in a Details grade slab.. And I have a pretty good reputation.. Because I don't let the flaws be such a negative factor ;)

It kind of bothers me a little that those flaws bother you o_O

Just look at the amount of posts I have and the amount of likes... Speaks for itself!

Peace :angelic:

11. JCro57

Oh, I totally appreciate that you don't let those labeled "details" bother you; I wish they didn't bother me either.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted