NGC slab size

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usc96, Oct 27, 2010.

1. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

I picked up two pieces yesterday from a reputable source. Both were NGC slabbed. One of the NGC slabs is a little bigger than the ones I am use to. It has a hologram, a number (which I've looked up), and a bar code. Did NGC increase/decrease the size of their slabs (ever so slightly) at some point? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, it isnt uncommon for TPF companys to change their holders.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In 2008, NGC added an additional line of oversized slabs that are available on request for an additional charge. These new slabs can hold medals and other numismatics up to 120mm in diameter and as much as 15mm thick.

Chris

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Their earlier slabs (known as no-line fatties) do look like they are thicker than the later slabs. But from measurements I have taken this is an optical illusion. The old slabs had a flat squared off edge while the later ones have a flat area on the edge and then round over the edges to the front and back faces. But the actual thickness of the slab is the same. If you mean they are taller or wider as far as I know there are no differences there. About 2 years ago they did come out with a thicker version of their slab for those coins such as ancients and a few others which are often too thick for the standard slab. These are either 1 1/2 or 2 times as thick as the standard slab.

6. cpm9ball

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I am just digging up old threads left and right...thanks Google....

Anyway, does anyone have one of these oversized holders? I'm wondering what their dimensions are...called NGC and the unfriendly lady (first time for that, usually it's the nice british lady) told me she didn't have that information. Yep...just said, "I dunno" and left it at that. So...CT friends...how big are these?

Thanks!

8. cpm9ball

Here is an example of one. It is the same lxw dimensions but thicker to accommodate high relief coins and/or medals.

ANA High Relief Medals.jpg

Their largest holder is 7-11/16" x 6-7/8" x 3/4".

Chris

9. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Thanks Chris - would they use the largest one for a 5 oz ATB puck?

10. cpm9ball

They would have to. The hockey puck is 3" which corresponds to 76mm. I have four of the largest slabs with 63.5mm medals in them.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted