NGC sample slab question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me any information on value and how rare this NGC sample 1956 Roosevelt toned dime.thanks in advance. 20180310_123554.jpg

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The sample I have which is not toned, I paid $8.50 last year. I'm currently purchasing a sample of the same generation with a Peace Dollar in it for $70.00.

4. Paddy54

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Actually, you want @Davidschwager - Condor101's book isn't much help because Mike is color blind and didn't realize there were green and brown until much too late to fix up all his records...

Need to see the reverse to differentiate between NGC-010-1-xxx and NGC-010-2-xxx (in David's numerology, among the green label samples, -1- has no hologram and -2- has a hologram).

As far as I see, all of the -1-s and most of the -2- actually have grades of FA this and FA that, some PF 65 NGCs.

I will say that 50s times are pricer than the typical 60s.

I would say this is an unlisted variant similar to NGC-010-2-6 which used the 199999-xxx cert# and is known with "PF 65 NGC" grade and a 1961 dime. Or there is a brown label, NGC-010-3-3 known with an MS grade and a 1956 dime.

Most of these have book values in the 10-25 range.

ddddd likes this.
  6. Paddy54

This has the hologram so it is a 2 1956 dime
    Thanks for the input

7. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Paddy, as Burton noted David Schwager’s book “Sample Slabs”, Second Edition, 2016, is the most current reference. He has been tracking sell prices for several years. His listing on page 243, Catalog # NGC-10-3-3 looks to be the closest listing to what you have. The text printed on the label matches including the Cert#, and this Catalog # is known with a 1956 coin. He shows a listed price of $18. Your experience may differ, offer void where prohibited by law, see your dealer for details,....etc. :D

SilverMike, ddddd and Paddy54 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Thanks Bill

9. jtlee321

So I broke out my sample slab with the dime in it. It's a 1959-D without a grade. If any of you with a book could let me know anything about it, I'd appreciate it.

1959-D-Roosevelt-Dime-NGC-Gen-4-Sample-Slab-Front.jpg 1959-D-Roosevelt-Dime-NGC-Gen-4-Sample-Slab-Back.jpg

My 1923 Peace Dollar Sample Slab came in today. It has a struck through wood chip on the obverse just below and between the ER of LIBERTY. Part of the wood is still present. It's a neat little bonus. :)

1923-Peace-Dollar-NGC-Gen-4-Sample-Slab-Front.jpg 1923-Peace-Dollar-NGC-Gen-4-Sample-Slab-Back.jpg Strike-Through-Detail.jpg

10. Burton Strauss III

Sure @jtlee321 ... both are NGC-xxx-3-x types (Brown label, no bar code). With the PDF edition of David's book, easy to search for the type as well as the cert#.

The dime is NGC-010-3-11, although a 1959D dime is not listed (@Davidschwager lists 1962, 1964 and 1964D). Nominally value of $12, but with the slightly older dime a bit more to the right buyer.

The Peace Dollar is Schwager# NGC-100-2-1 in green and NGC-100-3-3 in Brown. David indicates most are better than the MS60 "grade" and known are 1922-1925. Value of $70 (w/o the struck through, naturally).

jtlee321 likes this.
  11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yer dime has amazing luster!! I love the series, not so much the Pres. Although, winning FOUR elections has my respect!!

12. jtlee321

Thank you for the great information!! I sincerely appreciate it. I'll have to look for the book. :)

13. jtlee321

I was thinking of calling CAC and asking if they would review these sample slabs that are graded. It would be fun to get a gold sticker on a sample slab. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Nathan401 likes this.
  14. Burton Strauss III

They've done it. The only problem is that some of the reused cert#s (199998 and 199999) show the wrong coin in NGC's database.

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted