NGC Results

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, May 19, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I've been working on a classic Hungarian type set for many years now, along with a date set for Austro-Hungarian Corona/Korona. Here are the results from my latest world submission to NGC for my Austro-Hungarian set, along with my grade estimates before submission.

I feel like NGC is a little hard on grading coronas, and PCGS is too lenient. I have literally never seen a corona in a PCGS slab that I didn't think was a point overgraded.

The Austro-Hungarian Corona/Korona was minted from 1892 through 1916 and was equivalent to a silver quarter dollar. Both Austria and Hungary each had 3 types (a younger bust, a commemorative, and an older bust) during the run for this denomination. Common dates for these coins are typically obtainable in grades up to MS63 without too much trouble. It becomes harder to find examples at MS64, and gem examples are extremely scarce.

For my set, I am going for the highest grade of both MS and MSPL that I can find for each date, and I have been pursuing upgrades aggressively.

These are my submissions for my Austro-Hungarian Corona/Korona date set in this NGC batch:

Austria Corona KM 2804

My grade: MS64
    NGC: MS64
    AUS_1895_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1895_C_Rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2804

AUS_1899_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1899_C_Rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2804

AUS_1901_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1901_C_Rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2804
    1903 (Better Date)

My grade: MS65
    NGC: MS64+
    AUS_1903_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1903_C_Rev_sm.png

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    mlov43, brg5658, sonlarson and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Austria Corona KM 2820

This is the nicest PL example I have come across out of any of my corona/korona types. It is uncommonly frosty for a PL and I think it may be an actual proof, though none were officially recorded.
    My grade: MS64 PL
    NGC: MS64 PL

1912_corona_obv_sm.png 1912_corona_rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2820

This coin was previously in an ICCS MS63 holder, though I agreed with the grade. 1913 is a high mintage year, so there should be higher grade examples out there, but oddly this is the nicest example I've come across.
    My grade: MS63
    NGC: MS63

AUS_1913_C_Obv_rev.png AUS_1913_C_Rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2820

This coin was previously in an ICCS MS65 holder, though I agreed with the grade.
    NGC: MS65

AUS_1914_C_Obv_2_sm.png AUS_1914_C_Rev_2_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2820
    1914 (#2)

This coin was previously in an ICCS MS64 holder, though I agreed with the grade. It's not as nice as my other 1914 examples in terms of grade, but the toning was very interesting and beautiful.

AUS_1914_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1914_C_Rev_sm.png

Austria Corona KM 2820

This is the first coin in my corona/korona date set that's gotten a 66 from NGC.
    My grade: MS66
    NGC: MS66

AUS_1915_C_Obv_sm.png AUS_1915_C_Rev_sm.png

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Jaelus

FWIW, NGC stopped accepting PCGS-graded world coins in their Registry sets because there were too many problems with their attributions.

Chris

Jaelus likes this.
  5. Jaelus

Here are the Hungarian korona types from this submission:

Hungary Korona KM 484
    1892KB (Key Date)

I lucked into a pair of beautifully toned gem 1892s. This is a key date with a mintage of only ~5,000. This one has nicer toning and luster than the coin below, but a weaker strike on the reverse.
    NGC: MS65+

HUN_1892KB_K_Obv_sm.png HUN_1892KB_K_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Korona KM 484
    1892KB #2 (Key Date)

This is the second of the pair. This one has a full strike.

HUN_1892KB_K_Obv_2_sm.png HUN_1892KB_K_Rev_2_sm.png

Hungary Korona KM 484
    1894KB

Darkly toned original surfaces.

HUN_1894KB_K_Obv_sm.png HUN_1894KB_K_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Korona KM 492
    1912KB

I feel like I'm cursed with 1912s. No matter how nice the example is I can't get a grade higher than MS63. Since my expected grade was two points higher than NGC's, I may crack out and resubmit this one.

HUN_1912KB_K_Obv_sm.png HUN_1912KB_K_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Korona KM 492
    1914KB

This is a beautiful semi-PL coin. I think they were too hard on it.

HUN_1914KB_K_Obv_sm.png HUN_1914KB_K_Rev_sm.png

brg5658, sonlarson, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  6. Jaelus

Hungary Korona KM 492
    1915KB

An absolute stunner with lovely toning and luster.
    My grade: MS66

HUN_1915KB_K_Obv_sm.png HUN_1915KB_K_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Korona KM 492
    1915KB (#2)

Of this date I had an MS62 PL and an MS63 PL already, but I was certain this coin would get the 64. It's definitely the choicest PL I've seen of this type.
    NGC: MS64 PL

HUN_1915KB_K_Obv_PL_sm.png HUN_1915KB_K_Rev_PL_sm.png

brg5658, sonlarson, rzage and 4 others like this.
  7. Jaelus

Here's the balance of the submissions for my classic Hungarian type set:

Hungary Forint KM 475
    1892KB (Better Date)

This is the last year of a three-year type and the last year of this denomination as 1892 was the transition year to the korona. Due to the size of the coin (29mm), most surviving forints are baggy and grade MS62 or lower. Finding an MS63 is challenging, and MS64s are extremely scarce. I consider this example to be PL, but NGC did not agree with me. I found getting the PL designation from NGC on these larger coins to be very difficult.

HUN_1892KB_Ft_Obv_sm.png HUN_1892KB_Ft_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Filler KM 480
    1902KB

Tough to find these earlier examples fully red. I was very pleased to come across this.
    My grade: MS65 RD
    NGC: MS65 RD

HUN_1902KB_Fi_Obv_sm.png HUN_1902KB_Fi_Rev_sm.png

Hungary 2 Filler KM 497 (Iron)
    1916KB

This is the first year for this type, and one of the first iron issues. These coins are mostly found corroded and are extremely hard to find in problem-free uncirculated grades. This is a second time submission to NGC. The first time around it got UNC Details Surface Hairlines, but there wasn't a hairline to be found on the coin. It does have prominent die lines due to being an intermediate die state where this is characteristic of the type. I showed it to several world dealers after it came back the first time and they all agreed I should crack it out and resubmit.
    My grade: MS62

HUN_1916KB_2Fi_Obv_sm.png HUN_1916KB_2Fi_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Filler KM 505
    1938BP

A choice red example.
    My grade: MS64 RD
    NGC: MS65 RD

HUN_1938BP_Fi_Obv_sm.png HUN_1938BP_Fi_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Pengo KM 510
    1939BP

The pengo was the replacement for the korona after the korona hyperinflated and was abolished. The reverse uses the same laurels as the korona. An attractive gem.

HUN_1939BP_P_Obv_sm.png HUN_1939BP_P_Rev_sm.png

brg5658, sonlarson, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Looks like, on balance, they largely agreed with your grades (except that 1912). Very nice! :)

Jaelus likes this.
  9. Jaelus

Hungary 2 Pengo KM 513 (Pazmany University Commemorative)
    1935BP

This is the toughest to find of the commemorative issues under Miklos Horthy. Seems they always have to give details to at least one coin on my big submissions. This time it was this one. I figured if any coin on this submission got details it would be this one, so I'm not completely surprised. I may crackout and resubmit if I can't find a nicer example.
    My grade: MS62
    NGC: UNC DETAILS Surface Hairlines

HUN_1935BP_2P_Obv_sm.png HUN_1935BP_2P_Rev_sm.png

Hungary 2 Pengo P7.4
    1942BP

One of the larger aluminum issues. This one is a three-year type. The aluminum issues are plentiful but tough to find in higher grades. I suspect that they generally weren't considered collectible after they stopped striking them in silver, and as a result they are scarcer in higher levels of preservation. Really a 64 obv/63 rev I think, but NGC apparently thought the obverse was enough to give it the bump.

HUN_1942BP_2P_Obv_sm.png HUN_1942BP_2P_Rev_sm.png

Hungary Forint KM 449
    1868KB Restrike

I really enjoy the Artex proof restrikes as a supplement to my collection of original types (1,000 pieces struck).
    My grade: PF67
    NGC: PF67

HUN_1868KB_Ft_Obv_R_sm.png HUN_1868KB_Ft_Rev_R_sm.png

Hungary Forint KM 475
    1892KB Restrike

Another Artex proof restrike (1,000 pieces struck). A little nicer than the 1868KB restrike above.
    My grade: PF68
    NGC: PF68

HUN_1892KB_Ft_Obv_R_sm.png HUN_1892KB_Ft_Rev_R_sm.png

Hungary 2 Pengo PE5.2 (Ferenc Rakoczi Pattern)
    1935BP Restrike

Great cameo and light golden toning. This is a restrike of a pattern. The final released version of this commemorative was produced with a significantly modified obverse.
    My grade: PF67 UCAM
    NGC: PF68 UCAM

HUN_1935BP_2P_Obv_R_sm.png HUN_1935BP_2P_Rev_R_sm.png

10. Jaelus

Makes perfect sense. I still have a few in PCGS Secure Plus slabs for my Hungarian type set (just not coronas) where the grades are reasonable, but I crackout and submit to NGC almost all PCGS world coins I get. To date, every single one of them has come back one point lower from NGC, and I have agreed with the new grade every time.

mlov43 and Paul M. like this.
  11. Jaelus

While it doesn't look like much of a difference, the 1914 and 1915 koronas that graded a point under what I had expected were pretty disappointing to me. They are both common dates that I've been aggressively trying to upgrade, and the single point on those would have made a big difference for my set.

Still, I can't really complain. For the most part, the grades were one point in either direction from what I expected, except for that 1912 korona and the 2 pengo that got details. I'm very pleased with the grades on this submission on the whole, especially on those 1892 key date koronas. The finest example of that date that I've seen before at auction was a nicely-toned 63, and it sold for a hefty sum. I paid less than that for the pair I picked up and they graded 65 and 65+.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

What a lovely set!

Jaelus likes this.
  13. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Very nice group.

Jaelus likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

You have some wonderful coins and seems like you have good sense of grading. Unfortunately that 1912 seems to still be elusive but overall it seems you were on par or maybe just a little more strict than NGC. Thank you for sharing, I love seeing feedback like this.

Jaelus likes this.
  15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Some beautiful coins !

Jaelus likes this.
  16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Super coins all around! Thanks for posting and commenting on the grades, very educational!

Jaelus likes this.
  17. Jaelus

Thanks all for the comments.

My entire Austro-Hungarian date set is up on collective coin here. I'm still missing a few keys and better dates, but it's getting there. I'm going to photograph them all when this batch comes back from NGC and then set up a custom registry set.:
    https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/xO81m6udia9NA4anFqhp

Dcordeiro and rzage like this.
  18. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Very nice set of coins! I really like your Filler in MS65 Red. Yeah, that's got to be a tough one!

Yeah, you could try to crack out and re-submit your Pazmany University commem, but it will come back the same, especially if submitting to NGC. That's my guess.
    Perhaps wait it out?

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted