NGC Registration

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tracy62, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Tracy62

Tracy62 Well-Known Member

I did a quick search and didn't see any topics related to this.

Do you register your NGC Graded Coins on their website? Just curious if anyone uses the "I own this coin" feature on their website.

[​IMG]

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's my understanding that all coins submitted for grading are recorded on the NGC website. It has nothing to do with "I own this coin". That information is kept confidential. The "Cert. Verification" serves merely to verify that the coin was (legitimately) certified by NGC.

Chris

4. Tracy62

Yes, but I was wondering if anyone did choose the “I own this” option and what benefit, if any, they get from doing it.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is funny you mention this. I recently (last week) acquired a nice coin and saw the very same thing. I am not an NGC member and don't mind paying the membership fee if there is something of value to be gained by registering the "I Own This Coin" option. From the little bit I can glean from it, it appears to be more of a pride option. I was hoping there may be some sort of assurance/insurance that if the coin showed up elsewhere that it could be traced back to you. Anyway, I'll look forward to an informed response to your question.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oops! My faux pas! I never even noticed that box. Is it possible that this can be used if someone has a desire to sell a coin? Maybe @Lehigh96 would know.

Chris

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Guys, it’s about your NGC registry sets. It’s the fastest way to add a coin to your online inventory. If you’re logged in and do a cert lookup, it takes only a couple of clicks to add the coin. See screenshots.

6E55FF40-1242-44EE-8393-788730FBACA1.jpeg

88CCAA14-43FA-446E-9478-CA8846E44D5A.jpeg

DFD24FA1-6CE4-4A2E-A750-B158575E5A32.jpeg

1A0B861B-A89C-402C-B782-23721BAB7E29.jpeg

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This is a new feature to help with building registry sets. Instead of manually entering every coin, you can just scan the barcode or enter the cert number and select I Own This Coin. It will go into your general collection and can be added to specific sets from there.

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

As I've said in the past I was doing NGC Registry Sets, but when they stopped awarding points for PCGS graded coins I quit creating/upgrading my Registry Sets.
    In fact I deleted the ones I had already made. And that was about a dozen.

I believe that I have one NGC Custom Set.
    Those are good for show-and-tell but are not ranked.

Oh, and I have no way to scan barcodes so that option is out for me.

Randy Abercrombie and Tracy62 like this.
  10. Tracy62

Thanks, I find this a very handy tool if I'm bidding on an NGC graded coin on eBay, but otherwise, I don't see any real benefit, except to tell NGC how many of their graded coins I have. Of course, I haven't signed up to see exactly what the benefits are. But from what I've seen so far, it looks to me like it's more for show-and-tell as @kanga suggests above.

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I also stopped doing NGC registry sets when they no longer accepted PCGS coins. I try to follow "buy the coin, not the holder" and refuse to pay extra to cross my PCGS slabs to NGC slabs; especially considering that in general, PCGS certified coins sell for more than equally graded NGC certified coins.

12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I actually liked the PCGS exclusion since I do world coins. But unlike for US, their world grades tend to be 1-2 steps overgraded compared to NGC.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think they couldn’t care less about the number of NGC graded coins in your collection. They care about memberships, submissions and crossovers, in other words dollars :)

14. Tracy62

Yeah, I'm sure of that, I was just trying to be funny. I was more looking to see if anyone could explain the benefits of doing it, which, no one has of yet.

15. Randy Abercrombie

I think @micbraun nailed it when he said it was there simply to add to your NGC registry set. That’s it in a nutshell.

micbraun likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I know my written English sucks, that’s why I added screenshots :-D

Benefits of adding coins to your registry set?
    If you play the registry game, then you may want to add new coins. If you don’t, then there are no benefits...

Tracy62 likes this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

First time I looked at your profile. I didn’t realize you were in Germany. I think your English is just fine.

Tracy62 and micbraun like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted