NGC Photo Vision

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MercuryBen, Apr 9, 2019.

1. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

I generally favor submitting to PCGS over NGC, in large part because I love TrueView. However, PCGS does not accept Medallic Art Medals, and as some of you may know, I am putting together a set of toned Mission Medals.

For my previous submissions to NGC, I did not opt for NGC's new photo service, called Photo Vision. However, I just submitted one medal for grading and decided to give it a try. I am very pleased , and think that the quality is very comparable to TrueView. I think they did an awesome job, and will likely send the rest of my medals into NGC for reholder and imaging.

4729278-001rb.JPG 4729278-001b.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

when did you get your pictures? when the order shipped?

4. MercuryBen

I'm not sure when you are normally supposed to get them. The photographer emailed me and asked whether I preferred a version that showed off the toning, so he sent me two option. This was before the coin was graded.

Penna_Boy and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

6. BigTee44

Just got the same email today after I left that comment. Mine turned out great as well.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm a big fan of Medallic Art Company (MACO). I have dozens of their medals from the '60's & '70's. I only wish that they had the photo option when I submitted mine many, many years ago. Unfortunately, it took me several years just to convince NGC to grade them.

How large is this medal? Will you be posting photos of the others?

Chris

8. MercuryBen

The medals are 41.5mm silver. Unlike most MACO medals, these are all proof finish (most MACO medals are matte). I plan to send the others in for reholder and imaging eventually, but don't feel like dishing out the $$$ at the moment. Will post pictures whenever I do, probably not for a few months.

BigTee44 likes this.
  9. BigTee44

It would be nice if NGC ran a special like PCGS is. $12 for reholder and free photo.

Would help promote their photo vision. I got the two pics this morning and another one still in line for grading.

10. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Outstanding medal and terrific pics. Neat that the photographer contacts you directly. I'm definitely going to try this.

11. cpm9ball

Three of my ANA Convention medals (38mm) made by MACO are silver proof, and the same medals in bronze with a matte finish are actually prettier (to me, at least!)

What year was this one made? What did it grade?

Chris

12. MercuryBen

I don't have the grade yet. The others I have submitted have graded anywhere between MS66 and MS69DPL (NGC grades all MACO medals as business strikes, not as proof). MACO matte finishes are very nice nice, but I prefer the proof finish, and this set was only issued in proof. Many of the mission medal silver proofs acquired amazingly colorful toning due to the proof finish and the type of cotton and box they were packed in, and the color is what initially got me into the set.

The mission medals were undated but were all minted in the early 1970s.

13. cpm9ball

Not all!
    Chris_ANA_1973LGsilver_PF65UC.jpg
    Chris_ANA_1974LGsilver_PF66C.jpg
    Chris_ANA_1977LGsilver_PF67UC.jpg
    Are you sure your medal is a proof, and not a proof-like? DPL is often used as an attribute for an MS grade.

Chris

BigTee44 likes this.
  14. MercuryBen

They are proof finish, not merely DPL, but NGC would not grade them as proof, only as MS. Pretty much nobody except me sends these in for grading and there is next to no information published about them, so maybe NGC just didn't know how to handle. I didn't really care about the MS or PF designation on the holder so I sent them even though I disagreed that they would be graded MS.

Those are amazing proofs by the way!!!

15. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

The photo visions are great, hope NGC does a deal where you can reholder+photovision for a decreased cost, if they do that, I'd love to get a photo vision of some of my world coins

16. cpm9ball

Thanks!

In total, I submitted 42 ANA medals to NGC about 12 years ago.

FWIW, (not wanting to hijack your thread!) the bronze medals for the 1973 & 1974 Conventions have a matte finish that I really like, and both of them graded MS69.
    Chris_ANA_1973LGbronze_MS69.jpg
    Chris_ANA_1974LGbronze_MS69.jpg
    Chris

Pickin and Grinin and JPeace$ like this.
  17. MercuryBen

Those are sweet. I feel like NGC is tougher on the MACO proof medals than the matte finishes . The hairlines are more obvious, and sometimes die polish lines on the proofs are mistaken for hairlines.

18. cpm9ball

@MercuryBen

Since you like Ponce de Leon, I thought you might like this medal as well. It's not made by MACO, but it is a sterling silver proof.

IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    Chris

MercuryBen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted