NGC Photo Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by easj3699, Jul 30, 2016.

1. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anybody knew why NGC stopped automatically taking the low res photos I am used to them taking when I send in coins to get graded. All of the coins I have sent in the last few years have had them, but the group I got back last week don't. I don't really mind but it is nice to just double check some coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Call them and ask........800-642-2646

Chris

Insider likes this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think you now have to pay a nominal fee of $5 for the basic imaging service:

[​IMG]

NGC Europe has always charged me for the imaging service if I recall correctly. I have submitted every year since I started collecting in 2013 and the quality of their pictures has improved in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Aren't they still imaging all of the coins they slab for the certificate verification page?

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe there may be a delay between you receiving the coins and the photos being posted. I had a newly certified Morgan that had no picture a few months ago (around May), but when I check the number now, the photo is there.

7. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

I'll give them a call this coming week. Every other time the photos were shown the same time the grades were posted. Wonder if it will show up or just became to time consuming.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Please see Post#2 ;)

9. cpm9ball

Gee, I seem to recall that air used to be free at the gas station.

Chris

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I'd guess that both PCGS and NGC photo all coins in low res (possibly only in video frames) in their receiving and shipping departments as a security measure. Certainly, it came in handy for PCGS when the 1870-CC $20 went missing. Some coins submitted or picked-up in person may not be photographed because of sign-offs. Long-term retention, cataloging, and collector/public availability are different issues.

Cal

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I got an order back earlier this month and there are pics on the cert. If they decided to stop that there would almost certainly be a change to their website and some announcement. With how many orders they do pics are bound to go missing from time to time

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I received an email with pics of my coins from NGC about a week before the coins even made it into their database and could be found using the cert lookup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gotta pay fifty cents 'round here.........

14. cpm9ball

The only thing that is free any more is advice, and you know what that is usually worth.

Chris

15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a coin in a new NGC holder that didn't show up in cert lookup at all. It then appeared after just a couple of days. It must have been hot off the press.

16. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Pics of my NGC submissions usually show up on the certification check page a few days after I get the coins back from them.

Draft saved Draft deleted