NGC, PCGS or Both

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

I would like to sell my gold sovereigns on Ebay. Would I be better off getting them rated and slabbed by NGC, PCGS or both? Or would I be better off describing their condition on my own thereby saving the grading company fees?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Grading & authentication are 2 different things. You can allude to a grade (which, as we all know, is subjective, even with the best of pictures) & the buyer can agree or disagree. But authentication can be difficult, especially with gold, & buyers will be much more cautious. This is the real value of the TPG when selling gold.

4. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

What does TPG mean?

5. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Unless they are common and worn, getting them graded is probably worthwhile. With sovereigns, there is a more active international market than with US coins. You might get just as much with a lot less work and hassle and get it quicker by selling via a dealer or auction company. With sovereigns, dealers/auction houses in both the UK and US should be considered as selling venues. Best route to go would depend on number, rarity and condition of the coins.

Cal

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Third Party Grading. NGC and PCGS for example. Cal

PlanoSteve likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There is also ANACS and ICG
    You can google all 4 TPG companies.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

ANACS or ICG would cost much less than OCGS and NGC, and be as good for sovereigns. Especially if they are no fully choice BU.
    Just list with a guarantee return and you will do better not losing the cost of grading and registered shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted