NGC or PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Westtexasbound, Apr 20, 2018.

?

which slab looks better

1. NGC

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. PCGS

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Ok I am bored. This question is not about the grading but the presentation. Purely the look. We will agree you buy the coin and not the slab. Once you buy the coin which slab makes a better home for your coin as you admire it?
    Color, shape, label, prongs etc

Arvin and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

PCGS, if it has the green label. Otherwise I'd just as soon have the NGC holders.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Mkman123 and Cochisz like this.
  4. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I enjoy any PCGS rattler and later green label's but I do have a soft spot for NGC fatty holders. If I would submit any coins for grading to I would choose NGC for their holder.

Mkman123 likes this.
  5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

NGC, they have much better service. PCGS will block you on social media just for using NGC at this point.

Mkman123, bsowa1029, Cochisz and 2 others like this.
  6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Though I do like PCGS's OGH slabs, might have ripped alot on them with my last comments but many people have been having problems with PCGS lately.

bsowa1029 and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

For gold I like NGC.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

For looks and salability pcgs. Love the old ngc slabs too and have had some amazing coins in them. I hate the new ngc slabs just as much personal favorite is the green pcgs and the doily

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I like look and the prong holder of the NGC.

As far as older slabs, the old fatty and rattler are where its at IMO.

Mkman123 and bsowa1029 like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Pcgs plastic is optically the best of any service at this point

bsowa1029 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Generally, I find the NGC slabs to have the most eye appeal, for whatever a slab of plastic is worth.

Mkman123 and Cochisz like this.
  12. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Honestly...honestly...if ANACS could revamp their old small holder (soaps) with the look of the PCGS holder (clear plastic, a nice, clean symmetrical label, plus the label on top you'd have my slab of preference (and probably my business.) But I can't stand the current yellow slabs, and the blue ones don't ever bring any money. I tend to prefer the look of the newer PCGS slabs but value NGC's (mostly) good customer service and grading standards. Plus, most of my Jeffersons are already NGC slabbed, and I submit mostly world coins, et voila there you have where my money goes.

bsowa1029, sidestick and Tater like this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Original black NGC slab (something about a $3000 piece of plastic makes your coin look better :) ), PCGS Regency slab as my second choice.

Tater likes this.
  14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I prefer the look of the NGC slabs. I know the optics on the PCGS slabs are good, but they look "cheap" to me.

When buying a coin, I don't really care which holder they are in.

Mkman123, bsowa1029 and Cochisz like this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

PCGS looks better to me. For current holders, the plastic is optically better and I don't like the NGC prongs. The only time the NGC holders may have looked better than PCGS contemporaries is during the earliest generations.

16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't have a strong preference as I don't have that many slabs. But I do like to have a set in the same slab. Right now I have several German Empire 1 Marks coins in slabs. The first several I got were all PCGS so that is what I look for when adding to the set. If I start another slabbed set then I may well go with NGS but I will try to be consistent in holder for the set.

17. spirit

spirit Member

Are both company's slabs made of the same material but just shaped differently or are their compositions only similar in their makeup?

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Their plastics are different.

19. spirit

spirit Member

Is one chemically better than the other?

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't think so. I think today, they are both inert. Some of the older NGC holders, do impart some toning on the coin. I have numerous Morgans in old NGC holders with the same purplish toning along the rims. I can only surmise it's from the holder.

21. spirit

spirit Member

thank you for your response

JPeace$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted