NGC Multigrading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinlover67, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Does NGC still grade sets of coins together? For example, would I be able to send in a 2011 Proof Set to NGC and they just put the sticker on the plastic slab that came with the coins?

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I believe I read here they discontinued that, but others probably have more details.

Insider likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy ! I f we only get him to give us that much detail all the time :)

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Quite refeshing isn't it

jester3681 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

most cogent comment in ages.

Is there a great post emoticon?

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

9. Insider

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The link I posted shows an NGC Admin saying yes they do this, and the reply is from 06/21/16. That's less than 2 months ago.

11. Insider

You are correct. I found the correct date of the reply. :eggface::facepalm::shame: AFAIK, Dena is not employed at the NGC offices in FL. She manages the forum along with her other duties from NJ.

So, as I posted above (just now I spoke to NGC admin after speaking with the same NGC President again) NGC no longer does multi-holders. However, they do have some old parts for these in storage in case a replacement is needed.

This topic came up several months ago when I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a set of coins slabbed for a member of CT even though he was told by NGC that they did not offer that option anymore. Sometimes, in a large company it is difficult to keep SOP straight.;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Jaelus likes this.
  12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It could have been this.....

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

NGC discontinued the multi-coin holders back in 2011. They did continue them for authorized dealers but that only lasted a few months. That is the official line from NGC.

Having said that, there are holders out there with coins dated later than when they "ended" the program. So officially you can't get them, but apparently there are certain favored submitters that can get them.

But I believe the OP ws talking about sending in coin that are already in a multicoin government holder such as a proof set, and getting a grade like the band they use on the GSA dollars. As far as I know that has never been done.

Jaelus likes this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

This is the skinny as I have it:

After inquiries by curious customers, NGC responded to questions about their "Multi Holder" this way:

"This was a very boutique service that saw low demand. It was not possible for us to align the work involved with the fees charged for the majority of our grading tiers. At this time it is available in combination with bulk services only."

So, the Multi Holder service is now only available to NGC Authorized Dealers who make bulk submissions of mint sets to be graded.

15. Insider

I just gave them a "head's up" for a new service. :eek::shifty:

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Isn't ANACS certifying proof and mint sets nowadays? Maybe not grading them, but I am sure that will not be far behind......

17. Insider

Yep, ANACS certifying entire sets. Looks like they put the entire set into plastic.

NGC said putting a label on sets like they do for CC $ is not cost effective and no plans at the moment to sticker entire sets either or copy ANACS.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

ANACS is certifying entire sets, but at the moment only the 1947 - 58 double mint sets and they aren't leaving them in the original holder as the OP was suggesting.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wow, I guess that means I need to hold onto my PR70 2011 (I think it's 2011; it's stuck away somewhere) clad ATB set as a curiosity piece.

20. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, I wanted to see if there was any way I could get it graded the in the OGP, but I think I will leave it be.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted