NGC is really chapping my hide

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mac266, Feb 5, 2016.

1. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm deployed overseas and the only contact I have with the outside world is via email. I've sent NGC two emails -- *TWO* -- which they have failed to respond to. They are just ignoring me completely. It has been nearly three weeks since the first email.

Secondly: I sent a bunch of coins from 2006 in. I'm putting together a birth year set for my son. It's not a valuable set, but after paying to have all the coins slabbed it is!

All of the coins were in their original mint packaging, unmolested, and I sent the package wrapped in bubble wrap, etc. Despite this, ONE OF THE COINS HAS BEEN GRADED DETAILS - DAMAGED!

If the coin is damaged (they have not arrived yet), then THEY DAMAGED IT!!!

I have emailed them about this, but of course, they aren't going to respond to that either. I'm afraid I've just about had it with them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Could have been damaged in route to them?

4. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Not to rub salt in the wound, but 2006 mint set coins are Satin Finish coins, and available for "peanuts" already slabbed. Not sure why you would send a mint set in for grading, when you can just buy them already slabbed for less .

At any rate, it's not unheard of for coins in mint packaging to still be damaged. It is not common, but it happens.

Dave Waterstraat and ldhair like this.
  5. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Irrelevant. The whole point of putting together the set was to put together a set for my son. Plus that's a secondary issue. They are not responding to my emails about ANYTHING! I only found out about the damaged coin today!

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

What were your first 2 emails about? Or did your last email about the damage count as one of the 2? Because if so, then they have only "ignored" one email so far.

7. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

The last email about the damaged coin was #3. That was only sent today, so I haven't counted it against them yet.

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Did you look at the slab pics? Do they show the damage? Does it look like the state the original coin was in?

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Thanks for your service!

Most mint packaging can be easily opened and other coins substituted. It doesn't matter to the graders, they don't see the packaging, all they see is the coin.

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Since you have access to a computer I would look into downloading Skype, buying some "Skype Credit" and then using Skype like a regular phone to call NGC and talk to them.

Jwt708 and green18 like this.
  11. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I have never had PCGS or NGC answer the general email address. I always call. NGC is usually the best to deal with. I often end up talking with the department I am calling about.

Cascade likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Mac -

I know it sounds hard to believe that a coin or coins in original mint packaging, submitted to NGC or PCGS either one, could be designated problem coins but it happens. Over the years on all of the various forums there have been many reports similar to yours. Sometimes a coin comes back labeled as damaged, another harshly cleaned, another AT, another altered surfaces, and so on. And all of them having been submitted in original mint packaging.

Naturally the first thing that people think of when this happens to them is that none of this could possibly be so because the coins were in original mint packaging - so none could possibly be problem coins. But yet the TPG says they are.

Well it happens. How and why ? That's a good question. But I think the explanation lies in the fact that if and when those problem coins were resubmitted, they often came back in slabs with clean grades. Other times they came back just like they were before, still a problem coin. This kind of thing happens a lot more often than people think. And not just with coins in original mint packaging, but with any coin. The TPGs just aren't very consistent. They aren't consistent with grades and they aren't consistent with problem coin designations. What it is a problem coin one day, the next day is not. And it doesn't have anything to do with where the coins came from, their origin.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Good morning Doug. Nice post.
    Hi Mac. I never had much luck with emails to TPGs. A call always got me better answers. NGC is really user friendly. I would bet that any damage was on the coin in the mint packaging but anything was possible.

Tater likes this.
  14. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Thanks, but if you re-read my first post, that is only one of two problems. I emailed them a month ago -- twice -- before I even knew about the details coin. I have yet to hear back from them.

As to calling them, I'm still in the middle east, so that isn't going to happen any time soon.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And as has been mentioned, you probably won't. Now I know that doesn't help you solve your problem, but in your situation I don't know that your problem can be solved.

You posted that you had emailed them about the problem coin designation. My post was to try and explain that to you, to let you know that what happened to you, has happened to more than a few others. I posted simply because you probably won't hear back from them.

But, if somebody, anybody, can PM you an email address (and no don't post it here, send him a PM) to contact an individual at NGC, then you might get an answer. But even if you do get an answer about all it will tell you is that the grader gave his opinion and that it is what it is. In other words nothing will be done.

16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You sound fairly angry, so I have to ask about the tone of you 1st email? The delete key solves a lot of customer problems (that are never going to get solved) with minimal effort on the part of the CS rep.

NOS likes this.
  17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'd ask about this on NGC's forum.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Hi Mac let me know which ONE OF THE COINS HAS BEEN GRADED DETAILS - DAMAGED!> I'll be happy to get it for you and send it along.
    As a retired ARMY Sergeant Major I would be proud to help.
    PM the info and I'll take care of it

TopcatCoin, green18, Tater and 2 others like this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Oh so close to hitting the 'Like' button!

But, I just can't!

green18 and silentnviolent like this.
  20. Owle

Owle Junior Member

There is no excuse for them not replying to emails in 2016, especially if you are in the service like your avatar indicates, and I wouldn't take lame responses from them. Whenever asked why they graded something with a problem they rarely say.

21. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Again, please re-read. The details grade is something that happened AFTER my initial two emails, which were about an entirely different issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted