NGC is Hosting a Coin Grading Contest at FUN

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 11, 2018.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Holy geez, man, how could you take your life literally into your hands with such a dangerous modern technology? Trains! These magnificent puffing beasts travel with such velocity as to render a human completely incapacitated!

Would the great John Reich have ever entrusted his precious life to such dangers? Modern technology must be shunned at all costs!

The only acceptable way to travel is as the Romans did - on good old fashioned horses!

I guess you could use the only truly reliable technology, however, and walk. Make sure you stay off of paved roads, however, that technology is really too modern and unproven.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes. It's not like Chris to be gone for so long.

4. physics-fan3.14

So, who played in the grading game?

How did you do?

Tell us a bit about it.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I placed 38th. It was 15 coins and you had 10 minutes. There was an equal mix of foreign and U.S. some gold, copper, silver, etc. There were 2 counterfeits... a 1876-CC 20 cent piece and an 1856 Flying Eagle. But some of these coins were TOUGH to grade. I graded a toned Peace Dollar MS64, but a buddy of mine thought it was AU58. There were also problem coins mixed in. Artificially toned and cleaned. It was fun and I got a free slabbed coin as a participation reward.

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

I wonder how many people are familiar enough with 20 cent pieces and FE cents to spot a fake! Wow. Tricky!

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The time pressure was REAL. After 2 coins, then guy hosting it said to me. "You're running behind." But it was neat. The points system was weird. 5 points for correct answer. 2 points if you were 1 grade away (e.g. AU53 when it was actually AU55) and 1 point if you were 2 grades away, (e.g. AU50 instead of AU55). Zero points if you missed the counterfeits. Zero points if you missed the problem coins.

jtlee321 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

Really, 15 coins in 10 minutes is probably around the time requirements to be a grader. So, I kinda like that they put the time limit on it. Reveals who's really good, and who's armchair quarterback good.

9. physics-fan3.14

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

jtlee321 likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

I have to admit, that was the most unusual choice. But, NGC is known for its foreign coin grading (much more than its competition). This is the "4.0 Buster" as we call it, but it's a pretty cool ringer.

12. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

I took it blindly based on the images. I did very well on all of the U.S. coins (save for the 1876 double eagle which I was low on), but I did horribly on the foreign coins. The GB error really threw me for a loop as did some of the foreign copper which looked to have rub to me. If I added it up correctly, I would have scored a lowly 39/78 (50%). :(

The FE and double dime were obvious cast counterfeits IMHO.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I knew I didn't have a chance with the foreign coins. I would have came in last.

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

Now that I see them, the fakes are *clearly* obvious fakes. Anyone who missed those needs to go back to counterfeit-detection school.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Thanks for posting! I always like testing myself. I got a 42 after spending an average of around 10 seconds per coin.

I didn’t count where I called something VF details when it graded VF-25, etc. My score would be higher if that counted for points.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Hahhah wow...................sigh.

Errors are hard enough without being world. Would have been a fun coin to see in person though for sure.

I thought the fakes were pretty obvious too from the pictures.

1916D10C likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted