NGC holder preference?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

With the way the PR70 gold kennedy coins are selling (barely above $1,300), I am thinking of picking one up. I have a gold kennedy in original packaging, but would like to have a PR70 as well. If you had your choice (and explain why), would you rather own this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]
    Which do you think would have a higher re-sell value one day? I know a lot here do not care about holders, etc, so you can just ignore this if you want... :)

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Definitely the retro. It highlights the gold better and the slab itself is more collectible.

jwitten likes this.
  4. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't always buy NGC certified coins but when I do I buy the retro slabs.

jwitten likes this.
  5. josh's coins

it is something about those black inserts that just controls my mind and says buy now I look cool.
    Wish PCGS had them.

6. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

I went the same way after I returned my 5 69's back to the mint last week thank god they took them back. I have 3 now, 1 NGC 70 I pd like $1400 for a PCGS I pd a bit more for and a raw pre PCGS FS sealed for $1175. I think once the numbers clear the 70's could be $2000 coins. I do believe the PCGS labels have the greatest chance to appreciate.

photo.JPG

7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I think I like the white better, but I've never owned an NGC black, so I cant say for certain.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. josh's coins

I think the ngc ana labels will do the best. If I heard right PCGS allowed fly ins to get the ana label and ngc did not.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Retro but the label is just to busy on those Kennedys

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Was it within the 7 day period that you returned them? I am past 7 days, but would probably return it if I could.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

PRECISELY! Among "Early Release" slabs, PCGS may be the better bet. But among "ANA Inaugural Release" slabs, the VAST MAJORITY of PCGS slabs are completely bogus fly-ins that were not sold at ANA AT ALL! Only the NGC (and ANACS) ANA slab means "this coin was originally purchased during the 2014 Chicago ANA debacle and campsites event". The PCGS one means squat!

If you look at the sales numbers by week, the rarest slab of all should be one that had NO release date notation at all.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Amanda Varner likes this.
  12. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I prefer the NGC white slab....

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree. I think the black insert creates a nice contrast with the gold...but I think the label is WAY too busy.

dwhiz likes this.
  14. josh's coins

Here is the plan.

1. Buy an NGC ANA label gold kennedy
    2. wait 50 years for the 100th anniversary
    3. sell the coin and make millions (millions might be equivalent to a few dollars in 50 years)

15. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

There's almost no difference. My opinion is that they both detract from the star of the show, which should be the coin. Simpler is always better. So I would choose neither.

16. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

Nope it was 13 days later but they made an exception. The lady had to speak to a supervisor but they ended up taking them all back.

jwitten likes this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm torn on this choice. I like the black retro holder, but it does not always work well with coins, IMO.

For instance, I think the reverse proof ASE looks awesome in this holder, but I don't like Morgan's or Peace dollars in the holder. I don't own any gold in a black holder, but from the pics, I think I prefer the white.

18. thomas austin

thomas austin Beauty is in the eye of me

Black is such a rich color. If at a show and I had both in hand I would buy the black. Best contrast. But seriously, for resale purpose I'm not sure it matters. If you own the black and list it online next to another seller whom has a white one. You will sell first. But not for more dough.

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I think this looks pretty good...but what do I know 21 and 28 retro.jpg

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean others shouldn't.

dwhiz likes this.
  21. thomas austin

thomas austin Beauty is in the eye of me

I agree that the toned silver does not contrast. The gold contrast well.

Draft saved Draft deleted