NGC grading was quick (updated some sets)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

This was the quickest I've ever seen NGC grade my world coins under a normal tier (modern-which is usally at least 12 business days). The coins arrived on a Friday and were graded and shipped back out on the following Tuesday (so three total business days)! It took longer for them to travel in the mail back (one full week). :eek: (Although that is to be expected with registered mail).

Overall the results on the nine coins were solid. There were four total 70s, two 69s, two 68s, and one unfortunate details-AT (it was the right call; I added that coin in to round out the submission and thought it was worth a try as I had seen some similar ones straight graded).

Below are some highlights. The two Austrian coins predate the popular silver & niobium series (which began in 2003). I consider them as a related part of the set (even though they are silver & titanium) and thus wanted to also have them graded (all my niobium examples are NGC). A 2020 niobium (not pictured) received a 70 grade. So I'm all caught up with those.

4B55E372-FAE0-4341-9187-233D333F4534.jpeg C84B5B75-5717-447F-BE5F-2360CC5C8B5B.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

The one on the far right is truly something else. Thanks for sharing!

ddddd likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you!
    It is part of a new series from Kazakhstan of "Totem Animals." I'm a fan of the designs and have both coins issued so far. Below is a link to when I received the coin raw (with more details and some info about the first coin in the series).
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-collection-continues.349335/

SamuelFred1 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great set of coins. Thanks for sharing.

ddddd likes this.
  6. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I too like the Kazakstan coin.

ddddd likes this.
  7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

wow very fast grading! The eagle owl coin has a really neat design!!!

ddddd likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

While submissions are down at NGC you should send in more coins (they have large expenses) for the same great service. We normally take four business days for foreign! Three days by NGC is exceptional service!

ddddd likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was hesitant at first but pleasantly surprised to see everything went so quickly (I'm glad I sent the order in). I'd send more in, but I don't have anything else that currently needs grading.

10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Good to know I have a submission that I need to get sent in.

ddddd likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can you show us the AT one? I'm curious.

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Yep, I think the days of any TPG straight grading one of those has long since passed! Straight outta the oven!

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's the right call but I gave it a try. It looks attractive (at least to me) and I've seen gaudier examples straight grade.

And PCGS still might grade these (but I'm not spending any more grading fees on it):

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinEyeCan...82mo_mexico_silver_libertad_pcgs_67_gorgeous/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinEyeCan...3_mexico_silver_libertad_rainbow_toning_pcgs/

15. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'm shocked by both examples, the second more so than the first. The first example at least feels somewhat plausible, as I think that is a palette I've seen on a Roosevelt dime here or there.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

And how would one put a coin in the oven and tone only one side?

I have a much more extreme example of that from just leaving a coin on a desk over the summer

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Much more likely, a substance was applied to the one side of that coin.

To me, there's a big difference between your example and the ones in the PCGS slabs. Yours has color progressions that are all wrong, and has the appearance of a well-known (and very old) artificial toning process. The shades of blue and orange are characteristic of this toning technique.

The two PCGS coins look correct, and natural.

Here's a Bust Half I bought before I knew better, with very similar "toning." I sold this piece many, many years ago but kept the pictures for education.

JPA775 obverse.jpg JPA775 reverse.jpg

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's very possible that there was a substance applied.
    I have my doubts that either of the PCGS examples are natural. The 1983 resembles the final product of some of the gassed slabs I've seen sold from edynamicmarketing. In general (especially with PCGS certified examples) I see more questionable looking Libertads and Silver Eagles than natural looking examples.

Draft saved Draft deleted