NGC Fattie Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KSorbo, Sep 10, 2014.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Stone Mountain Slab Obverse.jpg Stone Mountain Slab Reverse.JPG

This fattie toned Stone Mountain just came in the mail today. Out of curiosity I tried to look up the slab type online and was unable to find it. The following thread shows an NGC 4 with a green border like mine except without a bar code, with the bar code appearing on an NGC 5 with a brown border.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248404&page=1

Is there any chance that this could be a rare or unusual slab type? I looked at lots of NGC slabs in completed auctions and didn't see it there either.

geekpryde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

By the way, the toning on this coin looks a lot better in hand...

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I've owned quite a few fatties, and I love them. I dont recall seeing this combo before (green + barcode). PM @Conder101 .

It may be rare, but here is another one I just found on eBay (with CAC too!):

$_57.JPG

KSorbo likes this.
  5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Make sure that you check your Stone Mt. for the DDO and DDR varieties. About 99 of these that were slabbed have no designation on them. Although the variety does not command any additional premium and are not widely collected, they are still a variety and still neat.

I won this years CONECA Cherrypickers contest at the ANA show by picking a very similar Stone Mt. DDO in a NGC holder graded MS65 CAC off our good friend @Amanda Varner !!!! ;)

Mainebill likes this.
  6. Amanda Varner

Amanda Varner Well-Known Member

:D I'm still so happy that everything went so well for you at the ANA!

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I would call it an NGC 5, the key feature being the addition of the barcode. You will note in the descriptions in the link you posted that due to a problem seeing the color accurately I see ALL of the borders on NGC 3, 4, and 5 as the same color. The information about green and brown and early and later came from others.

8. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Member

i wish they would go back to the old fatties, i hate the new cheesy label prong overlap ones.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

the old black ones...I don't like the prongs either

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the new edge views. I also like the old no line fatties. Any NGC coin not in either of these will eventually get re-holdered to the new edge views wit scratch resistant plastic.

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I like the no lines but like the edge view feature. I really love the black background I wish I could choose that as an option as I'd pick it for many coins especially all gold as they look stunning. I like the look of bright color against black. Is why I nearly always use black background paper in my booths at antique shows. As with coins I specialize in furniture with original color and surfaces

12. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I have heard that the paper inserts in the no line fatties may cause coins to tone inside the holder. Since the Stone Mountain I posted already has a lot of toning, is their any risk of the holder causing it to the point of no longer being market acceptable? On the other hand, maybe it will add more color and improve the toning?

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Time will tell

Draft saved Draft deleted