NGC coin rotation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Has anyone gotten back a coin so badly rotated that they sent it back in for reholdering at NGC's expense?

I know there is some acceptable variance, but once in a while they holder a coin so off that it seems they must have been cuing in on the wrong visuals when they holdered it. As in the coin is upside down and photographed that way for the cert verification photos, etc.

Stevearino and Jack D. Young like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Interesting question; I haven't returned one but wondered if they would reholder for that so I am a watcher here!

I actually have an NGC slabbed half cent that was OK when I received it but through travel and displays it is now rotated 45 degrees and just looks "funny"...

Image of two of mine with this one included:

my+1806's.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    mlov43 likes this.
  4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I don't think that I would ask for a re-holdering. It would bother me, but not enough to have them re-do it. After all, the coin IS in the dang holder and I have pretty low standards for things like that...

More importantly, I don't want any more people touching my coins than is necessary Oh, and remember the big, fat fingerprints the "rubber core inserter guy" can sometimes leave! That's the real reason I always cringe when I send my coins into a TPG.
    Here's upside downers in PCGS holders:
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.22.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.22.37 AM.png
    One-Won (South Korea) 200-Won commem (South Korea)

I've seen this before in NGC holders, too. The One-Won coin seems to be one of the most common coins to get displayed upside down in TPG holders and in item descriptions at online auction sites. The Korean writing doesn't help with orientation cues, I'm sure.

Now, you may be thinking that with coins that use a roman alphabet, the core-inserter guy should be able to figure out which side is "up."
    I'm not so sure. Here might be some factors that keep him/her from getting coin orientation correct:

1) The number of coins the guy has to do is probably huge (I've done jobs like this before, so trust me when I say that the bosses don't care).

2) He's been doing it for how many hours before he got to YOUR coin..? (Oh, and oops, there slips his thumb, leaving a great big print on your coin!)

3) 1 out of 10 people in society have an IQ of less than 82. I'm not casting aspersions on the guy here, just stating a little factoid we need to keep in mind for a lot of things.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Jaelus, Stevearino and Jack D. Young like this.
  5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I have read that holding a small motor, like an electric toothbrush, to the plastic will slowly rotate the coin.

TheFinn and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Jaelus

This doesn't work for every coin. Very small and light coins like aluminum issues will never rotate like this unless the problem is with a gasket that is too large.

7. Jaelus

If the coin freely rotates in transit, then you can rotate it back yourself by holding the top edge and whacking the bottom edge against your knee for a while. When this happens, it's sometimes due to the coin being in the wrong size insert - as in a 27mm coin in a 28mm gasket. Sometimes the coin is inbetween sizes or they just get it wrong. I've certainly returned coins for reholdering that were crammed in gaskets that were too small, and the coin was significantly diagonal or otherwise pushing against the gasket in an odd way. Holders like this should not get passed their QC but sometimes do.

Having said that, I'm more talking about ones that were slabbed significantly off and they do not budge - as in the TPG made a major orientation mistake while slabbing.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  8. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I have a commem in an NGC holder that has rotated and had a little rattle to it, which I think is kind of unusual.

9. jungequex

jungequex New Member

Can the prongs in an NGC holder cause edge wear during rotation, especially with gold?

10. Jaelus

I'm only aware of that having happened with lead. NGC is aware of this, and now only holders lead pieces in a no-prong gasket.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Theoretically yes. Unlike the other companies where generally the inner core has rotated and is what rotates back the NGC core is a solid piece where the coin would actually be rotating with friction against the prongs

Practically speaking it generally won't make a difference or do anything but the idea quickly becomes cringe worthy on more expensive coins

Jack D. Young likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted