NGC Coin Holders - Info Other Than Grade?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TTerrier, Nov 12, 2019.

1. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of this but if you want to see nice dark pictures of it you can stroll over to the NGC site and see a Mysore pagoda NGC# 4825049-005 AU58.

This is the first slabbed coin I've ever bought and even though I knew this information is not on the slab I thought I would be able to go to the NGC site and look up an accurate weight and diameter - I don't see that anywhere.

Is that correct - once you slab coins you can't access the weight of the coin? How could you ever check for authenticity without breaking it out of the slab (assuming the coin looked smaller or thinner than normal)? I don't have any concerns about this one but no weight or diameter information seems odd. If I can't get the weight this will be coming out of the slab pretty quick.

Thanks!

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I tried to look it up but that number doesn't return any hits for NGC ancients. Maybe I just don't know what a "Mysore pagoda" is. Is it an ancient coin? Doesn't sound familiar.

Edited: Oh, found it. Modern coin (1761-1782), so you have to select the grade when doing the cert lookup. Here's the link for others to save some clicks:

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4825049-005/58/

Yep, looks like you'll need to crack it out if you want to weigh the coin.

Paul M. and Orfew like this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

That particular serial number cannot be found. However, it is typical that NGC slabs don't include the weight or diameter.

You should be able to determine the diameter by taking the ratio of width of the coin in pixels vs the width of the slab in pixels, as compared to the width of a slab.

You can pay NGC $15 to add that information. The service is called "Expanded Grade Description". I don't know anyone who has done it. https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc-ancients/

My hope is that in the future the slab-crackers will accurately weigh the slabs without coins. Collectors should be able to create a database allowing us to look up the weight of the plastic based on the diameter of the slab cradle. It should also be possible to figure out the weight of the plastic by weighing the slabs with coins still in them and subtracting the weight of the coin, if known. This would be a good project for someone with a lot of slabs and time -- two things I lack in quantity.

5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Another reason for not getting your coins slabbed?

Alegandron, red_spork and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted