NGC - Cleaned

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coindude22, Sep 24, 2020.

1. coindude22

coindude22 New Member

I have a Morgan silver dollar that was certified "Cleaned" by NGC.

I'm guessing someone would have sent a coin hopping to get a rating and NGC determined it has been cleaned. Does that make sense?

If I sent a horribly mangled coin in for certification would they take my money and send a coin certified as "crappy"? Would they certify a 'cull'?

Pic below

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

coindude22, posted: "I have a Morgan silver dollar that was certified "Cleaned" by NGC. I'm guessing someone would have sent a coin hopping to get a rating and NGC determined it has been cleaned. Does that make sense?

YES! You answered your own question. :happy:

"If I sent a horribly mangled coin in for certification would they take my money and send a coin certified as "crappy"? Would they certify a 'cull'?"

Depending on how "crappy" your coin is they would either call it damaged or return it as "not suitable for slabbing." In both cases they keep your money. :D

Penny Luster and Kentucky like this.
  5. Richr3395

Richr3395 New Member

My experience is buying at auction a slabbed coin with a certification company
    I never heard. ( That's lesson #1 ) The 20 coins I sent to ANACS 6 came back with
    either cleaned damaged or scratched. After receiving them and looking up the prices
    of what they were worth, I realized that I probably lost several thousand dollars
    These coins I bought were really good looking, until they came back.

Penny Luster likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Why the devil certify something obviously crappy (your words)? Why not just let it be (save a bunch of money) and enjoy it as the good Lord intended. People of late get so carried away with getting things entombed in plastic. Crappy in plastic don't equal 'premium'........

Penny Luster and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yes they will. And there is a good reason for that. If the “crappy” or cleaned coin happens to be a rare coin, then you get it certified to confirm to future purchasers that the coin is genuine.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

No, but it brings big numbers on Etsy.

Insider and Penny Luster like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yup, even a "crappy" (I would pay to have a slab that was graded "Crappy") 1909 S VDB is still worth bucks if real.

Insider, Mainebill and Penny Luster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted