NGC Brilliant Uncirculated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zachfromnj, May 21, 2010.

1. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

NGC Brilliant Uncirculated, if a coin receives this as a grade what does it mean? Why wouldn't it receive an MS grade?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Because somebody paid them to just certify the coins as BU for a sales promotion.

4. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

Thank you for the fast answer, seems odd to me unless the price difference is reasonably different.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

So how does it look in hand, does it look like it would have graded an MS63 or higher?

6. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I've seen these on the coin TV shows. They must get a deep discount to have these graded without the numerical grade. That would probably take a few seconds longer and cost more. It's like buying a raw coin but slabbed by a reputable TPGer as BU.

Bruce

7. panther

panther Junior Member

I always thought BU=MS60-62 and CHBU=MS63-65. GEMBU=65+

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The promoter might submit 500-1000 at a time and pay $6-$8 to slab each one. Then they'll make up to $50 profit on each coin selling them to people that don't know any better than to buy such crap.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They do get a discount for having the coins graded in this bulk fashion and since there is very little price spread between MS60-MS62 common date Morgan Dollars, there is very little downside for the submitter. The coin is guaranteed to be authentic and uncirculated, who cares if it is MS60, MS61, or MS62 if they all cost about the same anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted