Featured NGC Ancients - looking for a team member

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

It sounds like a great opportunity to work for the top coin grading company! Excellent idea announcing the job on the Ancients Forum! Surely there are forum members who would be interested in such a position.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’d love to, and I think I’d probably be qualified (given that there would be a learning curve to go through ancients with considerable speed and accuracy), but my life is leading me elsewhere. :(

Johndoe2000$ and Deacon Ray like this.
  4. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Very cool opportunity. Hope someone takes advantage!

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Got to love this...

Ancient-Roman-Coin-Emperor-Aurelian-NGC-VF.jpg

Roman Age of Chaos? I think Professor Guinn, my professor for History of Ancient Rome, would have given me an F if I described the Crisis of the 3rd Century in such a casual non-historical manner.

I'm going to recommend to NGC that future slabs use 'Crisis of the 3rd Century'. That's my good deed to NGC to redeem myself for all gratuitous slab bashing I've done in this forum over the last 3 years.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    roman99 and Pishpash like this.
  6. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Do I get to roll in the coins?

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  7. Sallent

You have a strange fetish.

Gallienus, TypeCoin971793 and Nyatii like this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I too am interested in the pay range... I love my job, but I do sometimes think life would be more pleasant without having to grade papers...
    8A3D27E0-95C2-4515-B457-126CBB5578A7.jpeg

Jaelus, Paul M., Curtisimo and 10 others like this.
  9. Sallent

I was told by someone a while back that NGC graders make around $100,000, but those are the graders who handle the routine stuff and grade hundreds of coins a day (usually the slabbed bullion and common US stuff).

A top grader though, the ones that handle the high end and unusual coins (ie. actually get to see the interesting stuff), I'd imagine their salaries would be much higher.

I can't see why the salary for the Ancients graders couldn't be similar, especially when you consider it costs around $25 to submit an ancient worth less than $300, and $40 to submit an ancient worth more than $300 but less than $3000. And that's without any of the extras they offer (extra thick holders, photos, etc.) I already figured that it would cost me close to $500 to get my 12 Caesar's set slabbed. :eek: That's 1/6 of the total I paid for it. At that price I think I'll upgrade some of the coins before sending the set in. It's not worth it when some of the coins are less than aVF, so it's something I plan to get done, but I won't slab them until I'm satisfied I won't be doing any more upgrades to my 12 Caesars set.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Paul M. likes this.
  10. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Wait wait wait.... @Sallent is admitting he plans on slabbing some of his coins?!? We need to stop the presses here...

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  11. Sallent

Eventually some, though the bulk of my collection will stay raw. No sense in spending thousands of dollars to slab some common 3rd century ants, but some of the rarities and more expensive coins in my collection, as well as sets that combined are worth a little, might be good candidates. The only reason I would consider slabbbing those is to make it easier for my family to sell the nicer stuff once I'm gone, and get a good price for them. The rest (ie. majority of my coins), per my instructions, is to be consigned in bulk to some auction house so they can sort the hundreds of raw coins out and sell them off.

But the nicer stuff (once graded) can be submitted to Heritage after I'm dead so that some idiot investor can pay $36,000 for a coin only worth $2,000 raw (like the morron who paid $36,000 for a slabbed Athenian tet recently.) Hey, I'm only thinking about my family's well being.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

THOUSANDS. They spend on average 7 seconds per coin.

roman99 likes this.
  13. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

For NGC generally, perhaps, but something tells me that stat is not quite true for the ancients division.

14. Sallent

7 Seconds might be excessive when looking at a bulk submission of modern bullion coins straight from the mint, submitted by some dealer who knows they are all going to be MS-69 or MS-70, and which one is what is mostly assigned at random as you really can't tell the difference between either.

The whole modern bullion slabbbing thing is a scam. I keep hoping the bubble on that is going to burst sometime soon, but there's plenty of stupid people willing to pay ridiculous prices for modern slabbed bullion as if it were something rare and special.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  15. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Interesting job prospect. I am tempted to leave the glamorous life of the medieval studies professor, but I don’t think I could do without all the women and fame.

Nvb, TIF, Curtisimo and 10 others like this.
  16. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Roman Age of Chaos .. I love it!!

roman99 likes this.
  17. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I’ve found this baffling as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like the Queens Beasts series, but in raw form. Paying 3x or 4x the spot price must be for rich people.

Sallent likes this.
  18. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

If you are a golfer in Florida, one learns very early not to retrieve your ball from a water hazard. I don't live there but have relatives who live on a private golf course.
    I hit a ball into the hazard and learned that lesson as I spied two eyes looking at me from his pond.

The good news, I no longer golf and haven't for the past 15 years or so. My clubs went to Goodwill. Coins are much more rewarding and unless you dive and are interested in diving on wrecks, much safer.

19. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Roman Age of Chaos was a term the submitter wanted for a program they were running. I would have preferred Crisis or Anarchy instead of Chaos but that's what they wanted. It wasn't an NGC designation.

Barry Murphy

20. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Roman Age of Chaos was a term the submitter wanted for a program they were running. I would have preferred Crisis or Anarchy instead of Chaos but that's what they wanted. It wasn't an NGC designation.

Barry Murphy

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I think the word works for the period, but one could in other aspects call it a period of 'reformation'. It's all in ones interpretation. Can one designate a line in the slab as one wants? Can I submit a set of coins with a line that says 'The Ultimate Collection, The Magnificent Hoard, etc'?. Its an interesting marketing segment.

Clavdivs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted