Featured NGC Ancients - looking for a team member

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Hahaha, like I'd ever want to stop being an ambulance chaser. You know, you say drachms...but I dont see that. If law school taught me anything is that reality is shades of grey, and facts are whatever you can convince a jury to believe. You give me half an hour with a panel of 12 random coin collectors and I'll have them convinced those are tetradrachms and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Naturally I'll have to disqualify a few people ahead of time...especially anyone with any actual knowledge or curiosity for the truth, so @dougsmit is definitely out, as well as most of you. I need to stack this pannel of our peers with US slab collectors. :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Valentinian, roman99 and BenSi like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

"Hellooooo new screen saver." he said as the drool dripped down his lower lip, ran down his beard whilst landing with a plop on his phone screen.
    After a short (long) moment of reflection on what the job would mean for he and his family, he gleefully, and much like a slightly dumbed down version of Lloyd, he exclaimed, "I'll take it!"

4. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth Heritage is less than 10% of our business.

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Since it's not explicitly stated I'm curious what qualifies as relevant experience.

A dealer in ancients for 20 years? A collector? What about people who have worked in technical or historical fields that might be relevant (a chemist, a metallurgical expert, an art historian etc.).

I ask only out of curiousity. I couldn't walk away from designing and building things even if it does sound like a cool job...
    IMG_6493.JPG

ominus1, BenSi, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ok, good to hear. You know, for how much I rip ancients on slabs, I would consider sending a handful of my coins (some of my rarer and some of my more high end coins) if you guys would cut out the marketting of nonexistent hoards like the " Colosseum hoard".

If that practice is a thing of the past (which was my biggest gripe with NGC ancients), I definitely have 15 to 20 coins I'd consider slabbing. The rest of my collection (130+ coins) is average and common stuff, so not worth slabbing.

7. Barry Murphy

A willingness to work hard and learn is the most important qualification. We would also prefer not to have to start with the basics in identifications.... this is Augustus, this is Geta, this is a tetradrachm etc.

8. Barry Murphy

Sallent, I would be happy if you submitted a few coins. Make sure you let me know they are coming, I want to make sure we misidentify a few and take a long time to return your coins. I wouldn’t want to change your opinion on slabbing.

:)

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I sat at my sewing machine for a couple of hours tonight and now my back aches and I can't see well.

Sitting all day while squinting at coins may not seem like hard physical work but I think it might do me in!

Carthago, Deacon Ray, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@TIF apply! You are more than qualified!

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

With this post I have reached 10,000 comments. Surely that alone makes me qualified? (Kidding, and it just means I talk too much :sorry:)

As much as I hate slabbing and wish the whole phenomenon would go away (at least for ancients), I do not begrudge Barry or David putting their considerable skills towards a profitable endeavor. I hope they are able to find some help. It must be pretty difficult to assess that volume of coins with only two "finalizers". No wonder Vagi's eyes look bloodshot in every picture!

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would love to see a tell all book written by a fly on the wall at NGC Ancients detailing what is said and done when they open a box with another thousand Alexander/owl/Mites or whatever makes the staff want to put in for a vacation week. A local coin shop dealer with no notable knowledge of ancients showed me a handful of things NGC had returned to him as not gradeable (fake, diseased, unidentifiable). He had paid to have things that were hilariously obvious. Of course the book would record such stories and statistics as the largest submission without a single real coin and the one Barry previously related about the million dollar owl. As far as having a desire to be in the same room with a thousand drachms of what's his name - I pass.
    I believe it would be hard to find someone who would be qualified for a job like this that did not have a history of being anti-slab.
    Priceless.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. So if I applied and got the job, could I wear this to work? :D

[​IMG]

beef1020, dlhill132, Nyatii and 19 others like this.
  14. Barry Murphy

Sure. If I had one I’d wear it.

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:) I just happen to have an extra, never worn, men's T-shirt style, size Large (might run a little bit small). Handmade. PM me if you want it. I would love to see a picture of you wearing it at NGC headquarters. I think we'd all get a big kick out of that :D.

CrackOut-MensTshirt_edited-1.jpg

TJC, Valentinian, dlhill132 and 22 others like this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Everytime I see that material, I laugh. Wonderful job @TIF !

Q

TIF likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I hope you sent it to him in a plastic box welded shut.

18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

congrats on 10,000 TIF :)

TIF likes this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

><

20. Special Edition
    Shirt.jpg

TJC, Jaelus, Sallent and 15 others like this.
  21. Lolli

Lolli Active Member

How high is the start salary and how many hours per week?

So will this new employee only be responsible for attribution or will he do authentication, too?

I generally do read the legends or I look for mint symbols or monograms or portraits or gods etc and enter what I read in acsearch (it works pretty well but is time consuming and there are attribution books for ancient coins so I think that this can be learned fast especially if you have a coin library which is accessable for employees.

Will his attribution be verified by another expert?
    Will another expert do the authentication for the coins attributed by him?

Is it possible to see on the slabs by the number the date when they were salbbed and by whom?

Are this slabs really appropriate for conservation ( for example for bronze and zinc coins against high humidity) ?

Draft saved Draft deleted