NGC 3.0 slab question.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I picked up an 1884-O Morgan Dollar today in an NGC 3.0 slab. It's the highest serial number that I have seen with the gold monogram on the reverse. Does anyone know how the serial numbers worked for NGC back around this time?

Almost every other 3.0 I've seen comes with a much lower serial number. I've seen them into the 15XXXX-XXX series, but they seemed to switch over to the hologram after that. Maybe @Conder101 could shed some light?

1884-O-Morgan-Dollar-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Front.jpg 1884-O-Morgan-Dollar-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Back.jpg

AcesKings, geekpryde, calcol and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That's very pretty!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

This is a nice looking addition by NGC.

5. jtlee321

Thanks, it's a little baggier than I like, but I liked the peripheral toning and the embedded wood chips on the obverse. The biggest reason I bought it though, is the serial number accompanying the hot stamped reverse.

6. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

Holy morgan thats a sweet halo

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

The numbers weren't in any particular order and lasted into the 2xxxxx-xxx

An explanations might be that submission forms were printed going into the 2s and someone could have used a later form while the 3.0 was still used while someone else used an early form by the time the switch to 4.0 happened.

If you take a look at Conder's thread about the NGC slab generations, his 3.0 example is a 203388-001 while his NGC 4 has a lower number.

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/117773-ngc-slab-varieties/

8. jtlee321

Thanks, I did notice his was even higher than mine. Your explanation makes total sense. I appreciate it.

ddddd likes this.
  9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You have one helluva honey hole for this type of material. Its obviously got booming luster for an O mint Morgan. This coin has it all !!

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. jtlee321

This one actually came from a different source than I have purchased from before. I did pay a premium for it above market for sure. I got it with a partial trade and cash. I am pretty happy with what I got and I like this coin better than the one I traded. :)

11. heavycam.monstervam

You know i HAVE to solicit you one day about this one !!!

12. jtlee321

Here is the coin that went bye bye to bring the above coin home..

1904-O-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS-65-Slab-Front.jpg 1904-O-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS-65-Slab-Back.jpg

13. jtlee321

I think at this point, I could be a personal shopper for you.. LOL

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  14. jtlee321

Here's the large images of the coin by it's self. You will see that it is a bit baggier than what I generally go for.

1884-O-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1884-O-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

15. heavycam.monstervam

Yea, i like just about every NGC Morgan you come up with. Especially the earlier holders.

BTW, i think u made a great trade !!
    Even if u had 2 sweeten the pot a bit

jtlee321 likes this.
  16. Walkerfan

Walkerfan Well-Known Member

What beautiful peripheral toning. The 3.0 is my favorite NGC slab. Love the green and brown labels with the gold foil holograms.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I normally kick people like you in the burro for resurrecting such threads of the past, but in this case, I feel a 'bump' was well in order. Good show and thanks for the bump. I missed this one (I think).....

Walkerfan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted