NGC 1st gen BLACK at GC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Cascade, Sep 12, 2016.

1. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

LOL...I'm pretty sure JA has seen at least 20 of those 25 and considering Ian from GC will get your coins CAC reviewed for you prior to auction at no charge...I'm pretty sure it has been. But like you said...who cares right ;)

Cascade likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

It has not been to CAC. You can speculate all you want, but I am familiar with the coin.

talkcoin likes this.
  4. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

...fair enough...I stand corrected and now I guess she is ready to go for gold ;)

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Before vette answered I was going to say that one likely had not but he just confirmed it. This is one of the few times a green sticker would actually probably hurt the value. You better be sure that would gold sticker before sending, but at the end of the day the slab is the most important part of it

Cascade and talkcoin like this.
  6. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

I could make that holder in my kitchen if I had the correct molds and coin, and printer, and ink and paper, and font, and computer, and insert, and...

Heck, it's cheaper just to buy it.

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I know which of the two slabs I would vote for... but I'm perhaps a little bit biased ;)

Wanted to confirm that the coin in the PCGS Regency Sample is definitely a reverse of 1879 and not the more scarce reverse of 1878.

Also confirming the PCGS Regency Sample has never been to CAC, doesn't have a grade on it so no point in sending that one!

Would be thrilled if the regency sample gets bid up to even where the NGC black slab is at right now! Should be interesting to see where both of these rare slabs end up on Sunday... just a coincidence that they're ending about the same time too.

Hope that doesn't force any collectors to choose between a slab type they've had dozens of chances to acquire over the last 20 years, or a slab that wasnt' even known until recently and is the only one ever seen on the market in that same time period ;)

Mike

Davidschwager likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Frankly, I'd pay more for yours than the NGC slab. Yours is perhaps the most sought-after iteration of a valid subspecialty - sample slabs - and it doesn't so much matter what grade the coin would earn. It would be like deciding to collect Morgans and getting the 1893-S out of the way first.

The NGC coin is in an early production slab, and is probably still in one because it's a dog at the grade and isn't worth cracking.

Yes, eventually there will be no more 1965 Ford Galaxy 4-doors, but does it matter?

illini420 likes this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's an interesting dilemma - the number of people who collect slabs as slabs is small, the number of people who collect sample slabs is also small. And the number who collect either with really deep pockets is also small.

But over the last couple years there have been some crazy sales on eBay too... more in the $300-500 crazy than $3,000-5,000 however.

My pockets aren't that deep, so I'm :peeking:and mostly raining something (think :pigeon:) on the parade... but not quite to the level of :troll:

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No it is $2,800 for a very rare slab that happens to have a $75 coin in it.

Thank you for posting that sale of the Regency sample slab. That piece has been rumored to exist for about 9 years now when someone reported having seen it at a Long Beach show, but it was never confirmed to actually exist.

The census on the NGC black slabs has stood at 29 pieces for some time now. It has been several years since a new one has been added.

And the last half dozen sales of Black NGC's that I know of have brought premiums of $3,000 to $4,000 over the value of the coin. That's why I said it still seems to be going cheap.

illini420 likes this.
  11. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

Let me invite abuse by saying that I am one of the people who helped bid the Regency sample up to the level it is at today. I'm not the high bidder - some other collectors wanted it more.
    The Regency was the top story in my last Sample Slab Update newsletter and will lead the next issue, as well.

12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

While I do so love to heap abuse on you David, on this one I won't.

Among the small group of us who are crazy about slabs and samples, the nearest equivalent is finding out there really was work done by the mint on a 1964 Silver dollar.

illini420 likes this.
  13. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Thanks David. You do a great job with the update newsletter and looking forward to the next one... hope this one makes for a good story :)

Also saw the NGC Black Slab is now up to $3000 + the 10% buyer's premium. WOW!

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

$3750 & $3500. Good to see there are lots of bidiots with money still out there! Now to get them to buy coins instead of plastic...:banghead:

16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

So an $85 Walking Liberty half dollar has just become a very expensive piece of exonumia. Left is right, up is down, buy the plastic, not the coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Y'know, looking at things like this as "exonumia" isn't a bad idea at all. As such, they most assuredly have the "rarity" end of the value equation covered, and the demand is plain.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

A new term is "coined"... Exoslabia :)

Paul M. and Burton Strauss III like this.
  19. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow, it got the gold huh.

21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I see the appeal of these, but $3500+ is way too much for me to want to spend on them. I just take comfort in the fact that there's $7000 out there that isn't potentially chasing coins I want. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted